Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just recently got Ubuntu, as of 2 days ago, and although I am enjoying it, I'd like to be able to play wmv, wma, and the like. I found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Beginer problems.

I just recently got Ubuntu, as of 2 days ago, and although I am enjoying it, I'd like to be able to play wmv, wma, and the like. I found the essential codecs on the mplayer site, and moved them to the file /usr/lib/win32 . It didnt do anything. My second problem is that in the search for mp3, wma, etc. compatability, I got kaffeine, told it where the codices(sp) are, and thought everything was going to be happy. Then it wouldn't work, so after another search of the internet, I was told to add http://rpm.livna.org/ as a repository in synaptic package manager. Now I can't remove it, nor can I load any packages because http://rpm.livna.org/ isn't actually a repository, which you probably already know. Its also my first time using linux.
    Last edited by Brody; 08-15-2006 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Clarity

Yeah, that's an rpm repository for fedora I believe, but Ubuntu is Debian based. I recommend looking for an application called Automatix. Here is the link, if you work your way through the howto it'll make installing all of the essentials really easy, including all of the multimedia codecs and many other applications that will not be installed by default.

Just Joined!
    I just found this as well. But I'm a newbie too, so look before you leap. Looks like a lot of add-ons, but important ones, with a walk-through for installation iself, and then what you install is an update manager of sorts.

http://www.getautomatix.com/

Just Joined!
    Any ideas on fixing the synaptic updater? Cause its kinda F.U.B.A.R. right now.

Just Joined!
    Can you explain what you mean by "Synaptic Updater"? There's "synaptic package manager" and "update manager". I don't understand which program you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody
    Any ideas on fixing the synaptic updater? Cause its kinda F.U.B.A.R. right now.
    post your /etc/apt/sources.list CODE: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

hi linuxrcks!
    if you want to use code press on # button

Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    hi linuxrcks!
    if you want to use code press on # button
    Hello to you! #THANK YOU oops! didnt work! I am suppose to press the pound button when in reply mode?