Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Webhosting

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Webhosting

Hi there. First of all I apologise if I posted in the wrong section.

I just installed Linux, and I'm using it for the first time in my life, I'm used to using Windows. I've heard that it is possible to host a website on Linux. For instance, if I wanted to host testmysite.com, I'd only need a Linux. Now that I have it, I still have not figured out how to do this. It was much easier when I did it with Windows Serve 2003.

Anyways, is it really possible to host a website and domain using Ubuntu Linux? And if so, I'd like to know how. Please be as specific as possible, as I have limited experience and I'm only 13 years old.

Thanks.

First of all, Linux isn't Windows so yes, it will be different. As for hosting Web sites, yes, you can do using Ubuntu. Open a console dialog box and type sudo apt-get apache2. This will download and install the Apache Web server. Now, once you intall Apache 2, again, at the command line type sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start. This will start the Apache daemon. Now, copy any and all html files into the /var/www directory. Ensure that you have an index.html file and in the event that you are using Front Page, you will have to edit the document root portion of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to include an index.htm entry within the Document Root section.

In a hurry, you will need to type in sudo apt-get install apache2, correcting my post above.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Console dialog box? Please elaborate.

Open a terminal, similar to the DOS dialog box in Windows where you type commands.

If you're lazy (like me ) or don't want to configure files, get xampp.

I think it was made for hosting web servers.
    "Don't think about the work, think about the benefit"

Leonardo Juszkiewicz