Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, On Ubuntu-6.0.6-amd64 Ubuntu-6.0.6-i386 Firefox crashed frequently on both versions causing either; PC hanging OR closing the browser OR closing the browser and exiting desktop simultaneously. Relogin is required. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Firefox crashing frequently

Hi folks,

On
    Ubuntu-6.0.6-amd64
    Ubuntu-6.0.6-i386

Firefox crashed frequently on both versions causing either;

PC hanging
    OR
    closing the browser
    OR
    closing the browser and exiting desktop simultaneously. Relogin is required.

Is there any fix?

I suppose previously having seen a thread somewhere, suggusting removing Firefox from the OS and reinstalling it from the package download from its website.

Advice would be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

It really depends on why it is crashing. See if you can pinpoint something that is making FFX crash; otherwise, you are on a wild goose chase.

Try running it without any plugins or extensions, as these cause crashes often. Also, see if you can find a pattern (of sites, features, etc.) in the crashing. You can try running it in strace, too, to see what it does before the crash.

You just need to hone in on the underlying issue, though, to solve it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    Hi sarumont,

It really depends on why it is crashing. See if you can pinpoint something that is making FFX crash; otherwise, you are on a wild goose chase.
    It would be difficult for me to indicate. Sometimes it crashed without a sight. Neither I clicked anything.

It happened 30 seconds ago while I was reading Yahoo webmail, all text. I clicked a webmail trying to open it. Firefox crashed but PC did not hang. I just restarted it.

B.R.
    satimis

Try this, and see if it works out for you.

Linux Guru
    Hi aysiu,

Tks for your link. I'll give it a try later.

Most times Firefox crashed while I was typing a reply on a thread, OR typing my reply on forum. Therefore I have to draft my reply on text editor first and then copying the draft on webmail or Forum avoiding loosing time. This I can't resolve.

B.R.
    satimis