Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
I just install suse on a second hard drive for school. Once it was installed and i rebooted to make sure the boot worked. at start up it said loading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy

I just install suse on a second hard drive for school. Once it was installed and i rebooted to make sure the boot worked. at start up it said loading grub 1.5 then error 17 and won't go any farther. I removed the second hard drive and error 21 showed up and won't go any farther. I hard to go system recovery to log into windows. Thanks for your help.

Big Dawg78240

Quote Originally Posted by src2206
    Oh one more info:
    The default 0 was to be changed to 6 to get Win as my default OS.
    according to menu.lst you posted here, default should be 4. you installed Ubuntu again. new menu.lst and new location of windows title.

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

You'll amazed to know casper that "Other Operating System" is considered as a line in Ubuntu menu. So setting it to 4 was highlighting the line "Other Operating System" :o.
    It was 6 because I updated the kernel and theold one is still listed in that list .
    Sorry I should have included this info in my post.

BTW, any suggestion on the othe two I have please?

1. gtk warning.
    2. Sharing applicatio [ where in FC the executable s are located?]

Thank you my dear friend.

Hi BigDawg78240,
    Plug in both of your HDDs.
    Then during start of the boot enter the BIOS and disable Virus Protection of BIOS.
    Reboot with your SUSE cd.

Select boot from Hard Disk option.
    Go to YAST and configure boot loader.
    (the credit of this process goes to devils_casper, not me . )

If you find this bit uncomfortable, then instead of typing Linux Rescue, reinstall SUSE and you should have no more problems.

BTW, many may disagree with me but I think if you are not very conversent with Linux then go for a much simpler but feature rich Distro like Ubuntu. After you gather some experience with Linux, you can always go back to Suse.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by src2206
    You'll amazed to know casper that "Other Operating System" is considered as a line in Ubuntu menu. So setting it to 4 was highlighting the line "Other Operating System" .
    It was 6 because I updated the kernel and theold one is still listed in that list
    GRUB access 'title' tag of menu.lst/grub.conf as choice line in GRUB boot up screen... it attachs lines below title as commands which get executed after title selection. if lines are blank, as in case of 'other title' nothing will happen....

1. gtk warning.
    2. Sharing applicatio [ where in FC the executable s are located?]

if you execute GUI package from terminal, you will always get this error message. Execute GUI packages from Menu only...or create launchers on Desktop.
    regarding binaries of Fedora, there are a few... firefox, thunderbird or others you configured yourself... you can use .rpms of Fedora in Ubuntu. you have to convert rpm in .deb format.
    in Synaptic, search 'alien'. install it...

alien <rpm file>
    it will create .deb file ... use dpkg to install this package.......

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Hi casper,
    Basically my Ubuntu partition is only 3.05GB in size. So I was planning to share the installed application betn 2 distros. The problem is Linux does not allow user to decide the installation folder. Otherwise I could use oneof my FAT32 partition to install .
    Thank you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5