Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Hi friends, Before I start to shoot my question I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude through this forum to Cannonical Ltd and the Ubuntu for providing me 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post GRUB related- Help please

Hi friends,
    Before I start to shoot my question I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude through this forum to Cannonical Ltd and the Ubuntu for providing me 3 beautifully packed CDs of Ububtu. This proves that money is not everything in this world yet [though some like MS would love it in that way]. In my country the philosophy of knowledge and learning is that "knowledge can only be learnt and spread through sharing"- and Ubuntu proves it so correct. Thank you again.

Now to my questions. I already have two OSes installed in my machine viz, XP Pro and FC5 in two separate physical HDD. I have set aside a space for Ubuntu in my Windows HDD formatted as ext3. 1. Can I install Ubuntu?

2. If yes I would like to continue the FC Grub instead of the one provided in Ubuntu CD. So I would like to see Ubuntu listed as an option in FC5 Grub loader- is it possible? If yes how?

3. Can I share applications and disk spaces between Ubuntu and FC5? If yes, then how?

Please help me out. I have already used Ubuntu CD as live one and now I'm very interested to install it to get the complte feel of it.

hi src2206
    yes you can install ubuntu and anjoy triple boot.after installing ubuntu just add it on grub.conf.
    yes is possible to share betwen FC and ubuntu.You just have to mount it(fc) and edit fstab file.

if you will use graphical installer it wont ask you if you wont install GRUB or not (so you will use ubuntu`s grub and you will have to add fc to grub.conf)If you wont fedora cores grub than install ubuntu with text installer(and select "dont install grub") or after installing ubuntu boot into fc cd.Type linux rescue and reinstall fc grub
    and i suggest you to make unpartitioned free space for installing ubuntu on it

i hope that helps

Thank you very much.
    But grub.config of which distro and where to find it please?
    And during installation of Ubuntu can I skip installation of the LILO/GRUB provided with the Ubuntu?

well you will probably use graphical installer so grub will be installed without knowing you(it automaticly installs)
    grub.conf in in /boot/grub dir .....we will tell you what to add....

you will have to post your fdisk -l

Thank you very much jan.
    But still my one question remains: GRUB of which distro- FC5 or Ubuntu?

its not imporatant which grub do you have...thats your decision

grub will be the same either way(except the FC5 one has a skin, i think), and if you install ubuntu, it will overwrite whatever is on the bootloader. grub should automatically detect any other operating systems and add it to its list which you can edit later (/boot/grub/menu.1st or something like that)

Quote Originally Posted by shakumafu
    grub will be the same either way(except the FC5 one has a skin, i think), and if you install ubuntu, it will overwrite whatever is on the bootloader. grub should automatically detect any other operating systems and add it to its list which you can edit later (/boot/grub/menu.1st or something like that)
    Ok then after installing the Ubuntu can I install FC5 grub again?

But still my one question remains: GRUB of which distro- FC5 or Ubuntu?
    Sorry jan, I might have worded it poorly. What I meant to say is Grub.config of which distro I need to edit.

Thank you very much.

ok...install ubuntu

ubuntu's grub will owerwrite fc's grub.If you dont like it than you can still install FC ' s grub.
    Dont worry...its easy

you will have to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf from ubuntu (if you will install FC's grub than you will have to edit FC's /boot/grub/grub.conf)

i hope that helps

HI !!

you can install FC5 GRUB any time.........

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast