Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
deleted last two entries, same result. Disk /dev/hda: 13.6 GB, 13601193984 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1653 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

deleted last two entries, same result.

Disk /dev/hda: 13.6 GB, 13601193984 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1653 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 1582 12707383+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 1583 1653 570307+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 1583 1653 570276 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sda: 128 MB, 128974848 bytes
    16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 492 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 492 125936 6 FAT16
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Hi !

this getting more and more problematic.... well ! i know we can solve this problem but can you re-install Ubuntu in this Disk ?
    you can back up data in first disk.......

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    I can reinstall but I don't want to lose all the programs, update etc that are there. Will the install reformat for example ? How does the mounting of the disk work.

I currently have only one drive installed, as master. other contains ubuntu 6.06. the installed drive was my second drive and as I said has my data. Should I reverse things? Put this drive as the slave, install the other to the master and reinstall Ubuntu?

What about this message when trying to install GRUB?

Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.

Thanks, really getting desperate.

GRUB is searching for /boot partition. but during installation, Ubuntu didn't create any. i read a lot of threads having same problem. in some cases, grub-install worked perfectly but in a few others ( an yours too ), GRUB couldn't find boot device.

you can copy all data in First Disk... after that you can make clean install of Ubuntu in second disk and permanently connect first disk for storage.

mounting procedure is very simple... check partitions with fdisk -l, create mount points and mount partitions. you already did this with second disk many times....

connect both disk... boot up through LiveCD and mount both disks...
    transfer data from second disk to first disk.... after this, shutdown and unplug first disk... plug-in second disk as master and make clean install...

now Second disk is your main disk.. plug-in first disk as secondry and mount it. you can edit fstab file for automatic/permanent mounting...

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Am I correct then that I cannot create a boot partition that grub can use? Am I also correct that there is no way to reinstall or repair the os installation? I actually tried to reinstall once before but the result was the same as I recall. Be interested to know about my partition question. Thanks a lot for you help so far.!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3