Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
A few facts: I have 2 hard drives, hda1 and hdb1. I have ubuntu 6.06 on both drives. hda1 is 40gb and hdb1 is 12gb. My orig intention was to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

grub changes??

A few facts: I have 2 hard drives, hda1 and hdb1. I have ubuntu 6.06 on both drives. hda1 is 40gb and hdb1 is 12gb. My orig intention was to do a partition image of hdb1 (system i operate daily) and migrate to hda1 as my primary drive, making hdb1 a storage drive.

Whew.

I'd now like to do the reverse, boot to hdb1 and format hda1 to be storage.

Can I do that and how is the best way? Will formatting hda1 then cause grub to boot to hdb1 as a result??

Hi !!

Plug-in disk that you wanna use as Main Boot Disk. dont connect second disk (the one you are going to use for storage).
    are you able to boot up ???

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    both are currently in use. when I boot I have to choose other operating system to boot-up hdb1.

Hi !!

i didn't get it..... i just wanna know 'where you installed boot loader ?' in hdb or hda. so... plug-in hdb only and boot up.... does machine boot up ???

if yes, then you dont have any problem... just format first disk and mount it in second....

in other case, if your second disk doesn't boot up, you have to re-install boot loader in it....

.... casper ....

Linux Newbie
    Before I unplug hda I need to understand what effect it will cause since hda is the master and hdb is the slave drive.

Hi !!

if you unplug hda, nothing will go wrong. i just wanna check if second disk boot up itself. if not, then you have to re-install GRUB in second disk...

.... casper ....

Linux Newbie
    ok, thanks for being patient. I edited the grub/menu.lst that resides on hd0 to read hd1. system boots to the second hard drive as I wanted. I suppose I'll have to edit the grub/menu.lst that is on the second disk to be sure it also boots to hd1. Then I can reformat drive 1 for storage yes? Will have to see what is involved in mounting that drive afterwards. Want to store files, backups etc there. Maybe a partition image if possible. Thanks

I suppose I'll have to edit the grub/menu.lst that is on the second disk to be sure it also boots to hd1. Then I can reformat drive 1 for storage yes?
    yes ! do this before formatting first disk. make sure that second disk boot up WITHOUT first disk....... after that format first disk, create mount points and edit fstab file for automatic mounting........

.... casper ....

Linux Newbie
    Man I screwed something up. System will not boot operating system. Using live cd and noticed a msg regarding mount: function not working or enabled. HELP

Even after reinstalling on hda1

Hi !!

First disk ... right now main disk and you wanna use as storage...
    second disk .... you wanna use as main bootable disk...

in all posts of this thread, i asked you again n again a simple question.......
    "are you able to boot up without first disk ?"

GRUB is in first disk and second disk uses GRUB of first for boot up. we have to install GRUB in second disk now........

plug-in first disk... remove refrence of second disk from its menu.lst file... plug-in both disks...boot up... mount second disk and change menu.lst of second disk.... remove refrence of first disk......
    you should be able to boot up through first disk now....

do this first then we discuss about the real problem....

.... casper ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast