Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by devils_casper Hi ! 'update-grub' get executed automatically after kernel upgrade or grub-install. in case, fstab points to wrong partition and menu.lst reserves default options after upgrade, edit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    Hi !

'update-grub' get executed automatically after kernel upgrade or grub-install. in case, fstab points to wrong partition and menu.lst reserves default options after upgrade, edit menu.lst and fstab... update grub again...

why are you manually updating grub?

.... casper ....
    I understand that update-grub gets executed automatically after kernel upgrades and grub-install. The thing is whenever update-grub gets run, the coordinates in menu.lst are changed to point to a non-existant partition. I'm manually upgrading grub so I can see what will happen next time I upgrade the kernel. Right now I can see that what will happen is what has been happening - partition coordinates get reverted and I have to boot up on the LiveCD to correct them.

Just Joined!
    I think the problem is solved. I just booted to a LiveCD and corrected the coordinates. This time the fstab file was correct so now the output of the command "mount" in the terminal is this:

/dev/hdc4 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw)
    varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw)
    procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-amd64-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
    /dev/hdc1 on /windows type ntfs (rw,nls=utf8,umask=0222)
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    The bolded portion formerly was /dev/hdc2 if you scroll up a bit. For now I'm convinced this is issue is solved. If have any more trouble I'll post back here.

Okkk....

you moved Ubuntu partition from hdc2 to hdc4. but kernel and fstab had pointers for hdc2. on upgrade, update-grub generated new menu.lst after checking/reading pointers in /boot/vmlinuz.xx.xx.xx and fstab..... we can edit fstab file not kernel binary ( vmlinuz )...... so, right now, manual update generating default menu.lst only.

now ... change fstab file according to current partition structure. when you will upgrade kernel again, system will update grub automatically and it wont restore old menu.lst..... ( coz you already edited fstab file and kernel is new/updated ).. you will get clean and correct menu.lst..........

EDIT : just now, i checked your new post... good... i dont think you will have any problem regarding this issue....

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2