Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm completely new to Linux, and have been struggling to install Ubuntu for a couple of weeks now. I want to dual boot it alongside Win98 on my rather aging ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Install Problems

I'm completely new to Linux, and have been struggling to install Ubuntu for a couple of weeks now. I want to dual boot it alongside Win98 on my rather aging machine. I've got plenty of disc space (I've just installed a 250GB HD, but Win98 only sees 130 odd GB, so the rest is empty space onto which I can put Linux).

But the live CD just goes to sleep when I try to install it, and won't install at all (although I can install it OK onto an old HD on its own). So I tried the 'alternative' CD, and this seems to install fine. But when I reboot, GRUB fails, and I just end up with a locked up command line saying GRUB_ with a rapidly flashing cursor that won't respond to any input and won't boot into anything. The only way I can figure out of this is to reinstall Windows, overwriting the MBR, which at least means I can get into Windows. This has happened several time now.

But presumably Ubuntu is still there. If I could get GRUB to work, I could boot into that as well. Is there a way to install just that part, from either CD?

Perhaps your BIOS hasn't been updated in a while and doesn't like big hard drives. Check your motherboard/computer manufacturer's site to make sure you have the latest version.

Even Win98 should see the whole disk with no problem.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Even Win98 should see the whole disk with no problem.
    No. Win98 has a built in limit of 137GB (IIRC) - it can't see any more. There are ways round this, apparently, but I haven't looked into them yet.

But anyway, that's not really the issue.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by greasyfingers
    No. Win98 has a built in limit of 137GB (IIRC) - it can't see any more.
    You are right. Windows 98 has 28 bits data addressing, so 137.4 gigabytes is the limit.

Long time since I used Windows 98...

Anyway, did you check that BIOS ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Yep. The BIOS is the latest version.

Really this problem seems weird. Next time you try to install Ubuntu, choose the "Lilo" boot manager instead. Or perhaps try another distro.

Does GRUB gives you a specific error message ?

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    How much RAM? I've been told Ubuntu won't install to a PC with less than 192.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys. I've now tried to install Kubuntu, both from the live CD, and the 'alternate' CD. Both seem to install OK, but I get the same problem with Grub.

No error messages, just a locked up command line. It seems to freeze as soon as Grub is started.

I've got 192MB of RAM, but I'm guessing this must be a hardware problem, since it does this with several different instalation CDs. Oddly, I've installed Fedora, and Grub works OK with that.

I'd have a go with Lilo, but I can't see an install option for that on the K/Ubuntu disks. Does it install in the same way that Grub does? Any guidance appreciated.

Just Joined!
    I've got the same problem:
    on boot up
    GRUB _
    appears, and it hangs.

I've installed Ubuntu (dapper drake). It seemed to go OK - I told it to wipe the hard disk - except a probably irrelevant "failed" message came up for shutting down RAID (I dont have a RAID system).
    My machine is a P3 with about 300M of RAM.

Any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    If you guys have access to broadband, I think probly the simplest thing to try is downloading Xubuntu. It's tailored to machines such as yours with less horsepower. I haven'y seen it in action, but have seen many comments and it appears to work fine.
    Another idea - try the "alternate install" CD. It doesn't need lots of RAM to install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast