Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i bought this gateway 5300 used laptop from a guy and it had ubuntu preinstalled in it. It seems like the internet was also installed in it but it does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to configure internet in ubuntu

i bought this gateway 5300 used laptop from a guy and it had ubuntu preinstalled in it. It seems like the internet was also installed in it but it does not work when i connect the ethernet cable in my apartment. I cannot even open the window where i can change the properties for the ethernet connection. when i click the properties button it seems like it tries to open it but after 5 seconds nothing comes up. so how do i configure the internet.

please help

Jux
    maybe try re-installing Ubuntu.
    Or in a terminal try...

sudo pppoeconf

J

using the menu: System>Administration>Networking
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    joy -
    I went to the Gateway site. It looks like this laptop cold be running with very little RAM. Can you check this out? I wouldn't be surprised if it's got 64 or maybe 128 MB RAM. The guy may have gotten Ubuntu to install but it'll never run very well with less than 512, which is the maximum this laptop supports. When the laptop is first booting up you should see some info about how much RAM. If not, figure out how to get into BIOS and check. There's probly some really easy way to check RAM in Ubuntu but I don't know what it is.
    If it's got minimal memory (256 or less) you'll probly want to remove Ubuntu and install Xubuntu, a version of ubuntu that's tailored for PC's with less horsepower. Or stick with Ubuntu and spend the money to load this thing up with RAM.

Just Joined!
    I would still do a fresh install even if you do end up adding more ram. At least then you could say that you know for a fact that the install completed like it should have.

Just Joined!
    the laptop has 256mb ram, but the problem is how to configure internet, and it also does not have any optical drive, so i dont know how to install ubuntu without a cd

Linux Newbie
    Can you get your money back? I don't want to make you feel bad about your purchase, but it sounds to me like this thing is just about worthless to you as it is, and trying to add RAM or an optical drive is probly just throwing good money after bad.

Just Joined!
    well the thing is i already have a pretty good laptop where i run windows and do other stuff like video editing and watching movies, i wanted another cheap laptop where i could do some stuff on my own such as linux so i bought this laptop for $100. I think its quite cheap compared to what configuration it has, I actually have no complains abt it other than the fact that i cannot configure the internet and probably have to wait till i get an optical drive when i can reinstall ubuntu again

Linux Newbie
    joy, you're just not gonna be happy with Ubuntu or Kubuntu running on 256 RAM. I'd suggest Xubuntu. It's Ubuntu underneath, but the graphic user interface is Xfce. Xfce isn't a gas hog like Gnome and KDE.
    Good luck!
    Oh, yeah, I know you just want to get on the internet and it seems like that's not being addressed, but if you can't open the window to get to the network settings I don't know how to help. A real Linux user (not me!) would be able to do the whole thing from the command line.
    I want to mention something else - you're probly looking at Ubuntu with some suspicion, thinking that it's glitchy and full of bugs. Have faith. I can't say for sure that there's nothing wrong with your installation, but once you've got Ubuntu up and running on a PC that has no hardware problems (such as a failing power supply or RAM or whatever) it'll run day in and day out with none of the skittishness displayed by Windows.
    This may sound lame to you right now, but if you can hold on to a sense of adventure you'll be rewarded. I think this whole Linux movement (and Ubuntu especially, as one of the best developed versions of Linux) is gonna get very interesting in the next year or so.

There are ways of configuring from the command line have a look here
    All you need to know is the ip number of your router
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast