Find the answer to your Linux question:
i think i messed up the hostname in the laptop which runs ubuntu, it had a hostname, but i went to System -> Administration -> networking and deleted it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i think i messed up the hostname

i think i messed up the hostname in the laptop which runs ubuntu, it had a hostname, but i went to System -> Administration -> networking and deleted it and now when i type sudo su in the terminal it says

sudo: unable to lookup (none) via gethostbyname()

and then i thought of finding out what hostname i have i type "hostname" and
    it says

(none)

how do i get the hostname back, since if i type su and then press enter then it asks for the password and the password does not work.

the other problem is when i try to go back to System -> Administration -> networking then the networking window does not open any more, (it used to open before i deleted the hostname),

can somebody tell me how to fix this,

sudo hostname <yourhostname> ought to work
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Linux Newbie
    Are you making any progress with that lappy? Still unable to get into networking?

Just Joined!
    well i forgot the old hostname which i deleted so when i type sudo hostname <newhostname> then it shows the same message

sudo: unable to lookup (none) via gethostbyname()

Just Joined!

Still unresolved Ubuntu bug

There's still no fix available for this, short of reinstalling the operating system:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/u...udo/+bug/32906
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=196607

google "via getbyhostname" and you'll find a great many people with the problem, and no solution that's worked other than reinstalling the OS.