Find the answer to your Linux question:
bsicly if started the boot cd that i got for free, doublr clicked on installtion, go through untill the last step, the actual installtion, ive created a 7 GB and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

6.06 lts installtion help

bsicly if started the boot cd that i got for free, doublr clicked on installtion, go through untill the last step, the actual installtion, ive created a 7 GB and a 4 GB partion from my second hard drive, ive put the "/" as the 7gb partion and 4 GB and "swap", but 5 minutues into the installtion it says some crap about file systems the 7 gb is fat32 and the 4 gb is ext3 formatted whats worng man

do you have two harddisks? unplug the other one.
    dont create partitions for Ubuntu. leave unpartitioned/free space. dont format it. installer will take care of partitioning and formatting stuff.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by billz
    ive created a 7 GB and a 4 GB partion from my second hard drive, ive put the "/" as the 7gb partion and 4 GB and "swap"
    I can't make sense of this. What are you saying?
    Most of us don't deal with partitioning on a regular basis. Add the "Windows to Linux" disorientation and things just get worse.
    If you just give Ubuntu the largest block of continuous disk space that you can, it'll create the necessary swap partition from that. You don't have to do anything. Lots of people get mixed up over this point. They hear that Linux needs 2 partitions, but then they hear you only need to give it one. Both answers are correct! But only because the swap will be created automatically.

Unless you decide to manually set up your partitions. But that's for another day...

If you have broadband, or can borrow someone else's for a few minutes, download GParted Follow the link to create a bootable CD. You can do this on a Windows PC. Create the CD. If your PC is set to boot from a CD (I assume it is right now since you've been trying the Ubuntu CD) spin up the GParted CD. It will boot just like the Ubuntu CD does. GParted is a wonderful tool, and I learned a lot about primary vs. extended partitions after using it a coupla times. If you're planning on giving Ubuntu the whole enchilada (7 GB and the 4 GB) you can use the GParted CD to remove both partitions, then reformat the entire disk as ext3. Or remove one partition and expand the other one so that it covers the whole disk. Or create your swap partition (roughly 1.5 GB, formatted as "linux swap", place this at the far right side of the disk map) manually. Or create a swap partition, then create 2 equally sized primary partitions from the remainder (formatted as ext3) in case you want to try dual-booting another Linux distro. Whatever you choose. The basic thing to remember is wherever you're going to put /, if it's formatted as ext3 Ubuntu will recognize the file system.

Just Joined!
    my my ! why are suggesting all this? dont you think its too much confusing?
    create 'Free' space. no partition, no formatting. Ubuntu installer will create and format for you. thats it !