Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys... I have a computer that currently runs Windows XP and Linux as a dual boot. Lately, i've been atracted to Mac OS. I was wondering if there was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Possibility? Triple Boot? HELP!

Hey guys...

I have a computer that currently runs Windows XP and Linux as a dual boot. Lately, i've been atracted to Mac OS. I was wondering if there was any possibility of TRIPLE BOOTING my computer?? I'd like to have Windows XP, Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac OS... is that possible to do without running an emulator in Windows XP?? I'd like to know if I can use a boot loader such as GRUB (the one ubuntu uses) to select during startup which of the 3 operating systems I'd like to use... I'll do anything just have all 3 of them... even if that means formating my hard drive to install anything just to be able to do this. Please guys, if any of you have any idea how to do this, please help me, guide me...

Thanks Very Much...
    albertlv (Registered Linux User: 438937)
    Dell Dimension 4600
    512 MB Ram 80GB Hard Drive
    2.8 GHz Pentium IV Processor
    Running Ubuntu 7.04 - FeistyFawn

Yes, you can have a triple boot system.
    My laptop has Windows XP, Ubuntu and Slackware on it.
    My desktop has Windows XP, Debian Gnu Linux and FreeBSD Unix on it.

A guy I work with has Mac OS X and Gentoo dual booting, so I would guess that a triple boot system would be possible.

Exclamation

i know how to set up windows xp with 2 linux operating systems... and i know you can dual boot mac os and linux, there are some linux distros for powerPC... my questions is the following... HOW? hahah... we all know that Mac OS can be dual booted with WinXP using bootcamp, but i want to know if I for example buy a MacOS CD at the apple store or something and bring it home, can i install it and then install winXP and then linux and then triple boot it with grub, or bootcamp, or bootmagic... please, if anyone of you out there know how to do this, please, let me know... PLEASE...
    Dell Dimension 4600

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i installed these three OS ( triple boot ) successfully but its been a long time... check this link ! in case, you find anything confusing, do post back.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Exclamation

yeah, i found this tutorial last night, but my doubt was that i did not know if those steps where only to set up the triple boot using a mac computer... remember that i want to install the triple boot on my regular windows pc. then again, when i was reading last night the tutorial, i noticed it talks about driver x1600 and that is for mac only, so that won't apply for me... and honestly, the worst part of all is that i'm a linux newbie, and a MAC newbie hahaha... i've only used mac a couple of times in my friends computers, but i don't even know how it works... i'll try following the steps in that website you gave me, but if you do remember how you worked yours out please let me know.... btw... what boot loader are you using? BootCamp? or are you using Ubuntu's grub?? Please, let me know all the information you can remember.... thank you very much!
    Dell Dimension 4600

i suggest you not to jump on Mac at once. firstly, explore Linux.....
    as i wrote earlier, its been a long time since i installed these OS' in one machine. i used BootCamp as boot loader. right now, i dont have Mac OS installed and i am using GRUB. Windows Xp, Ubuntu, Suse, FC6 and Mandriva in single machine.
    i will check my notes and get back to you soon.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Exclamation

the problem is that i need mac installed in some computer, because next semester i'll be taking a class and my professor requires the use of mac for designing purposes... but please, check your notes and let me know anything you know about this topic. I'll appreciate it.

Thank You
    Dell Dimension 4600

Quote Originally Posted by albertlv
    yeah, i found this tutorial last night, but my doubt was that i did not know if those steps where only to set up the triple boot using a mac computer... remember that i want to install the triple boot on my regular windows pc.
    You cannot legally install the Mac OS onto a regular PC. It is against the EULA for Mac OS X. Unless you're trying to set up a triple boot on an Apple computer, I suggest you drop this discussion as what you are suggesting is against the law and the forum rules (and difficult to do anyway).

We can help you get a dual-boot set up on your XP machine, but any discussion about installing OS X on it cannot continue.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Exclamation

why is this illegal?? is not like i'm stealing anysoftware...i'll buy the OS if i need to... thanks
    Dell Dimension 4600

Quote Originally Posted by albertlv
    why is this illegal?? is not like i'm stealing anysoftware...i'll buy the OS if i need to... thanks
    This point is not up for debate. According to Apple Computer (license information available here) you are not permitted to install Mac OS X on any non-Apple computer hardware, regardless of whether your copy of the OS is legitimate.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast