hi, i'm obviously new here, but i'm a complete linux newbie as well. i probably wouldnt have considered switching had XP not been brutal on my laptop and Ubuntu was claimed to be the simplest alternative.... and i've barely finished installing when I have a huge problem.

I tried logging in after a fresh install and chose logging in under "failsafe gnome" after trying unsuccessfully to log in normally and getting only a blank background with nothing else (except for the cursor, but that wouldn't do anything except move around either.) So now failsafe gnome is giving me the error message:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon. Something, such as themes... etc ... may not work correctly.
just for my personal note it also says "The last error message was: Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man-dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)"

anyway, this is what I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to fix. I got the i386 6.10 iso file off their website, burned it to CD, and that's what I installed from, and anything else I honestly have no idea of but would really appreciate some help! Thanks!