Find the answer to your Linux question:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was having trouble getting Firefox 2.0 to install correctly. For whatever reason the new version wouldn't load. It would load the older version. So I got the bright ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I messed up Firefox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was having trouble getting Firefox 2.0 to install correctly. For whatever reason the new version wouldn't load. It would load the older version. So I got the bright idea that I would uninstall the old version and do a clean install of 2.0. I used the command 'apt-get remove firefox'. Well to my surprise not only was the old firefox uninstalled but a few other packages as well including one that itegrates Firefox with Gnome. So I try to reinstall firefox 'apt-get install firefox'. Only firefox installs, not the other packages. Next I try to install 2.0 with a script from this website http://everythingelse.wordpress.com/...cho-in-ubuntu/ Now when I start Firefox 2.0 starts. Sounds good right? Well here's the kicker. If I close Firefox and then try to reopen I get an error message telling me that a version of Firefox is already running and it cannot open Firefox. The only way I know of to fix it is to reboot. To make matters worse this is on my drive for school and I really don't want to explain to my teacher what is going on as I was supposed to be paying attention to his lecture when this all happened. Is there any way to resolve this problem short of reinstalling Ubuntu? Thanks.

after closing Firefox, type 'gnome-system-monitor' in gnome-terminal and check if firefox-bin is running or not.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Well thanks for showing me a utility I've never used before. Fortunately I didn't need to use it, for some reason I'm not having that problem anymore. Maybe shutting down completely rather than rebooting fixed something. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Casper