Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey people... I installed Ubuntu 6.10 about 3 weeks ago now and so far it has been working fine! The only problem is that i don't have any sound at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Sound Installation

Hey people... I installed Ubuntu 6.10 about 3 weeks ago now and so far it has been working fine! The only problem is that i don't have any sound at all... my sound card is not working... i did "lspci" in terminal and here is my output

albertlv@albertlv-desktop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a2)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)
    02:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] EMU10k1X
    02:01.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] Input device controller
    02:02.0 Modem: Broadcom Corporation BCM4212 v.90 56k modem (rev 02)
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
    albertlv@albertlv-desktop:~$
    this might help you help me hahaha... please, if you know how to install the drivers for my sound card, please help me... thanks
    albertlv (Registered Linux User: 438937)
    Dell Dimension 4600
    512 MB Ram 80GB Hard Drive
    2.8 GHz Pentium IV Processor
    Running Ubuntu 7.04 - FeistyFawn

Many times all of the soundcards mixers are muted after install. Open a terminal and type alsamixer. If it loads ok you will see a number of volume sliders. Any that are muted will display MM at the bottom. Just press F5 to see all mixers then arrow left and right to select a mixer, m to mute/unmute, arrow up/down to adjust the volume.

If alsamixer should give an error then we have other problems to deal with.

Just Joined!

Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] EMU10k1X Dell

Have you tried alsaconf?
    Then after establishing the emu-10k1x driver go to alsamixer and move to Analog/Digital Output Jack and turn it ON. Or click the kmix icon and find it in the Switches tab. To save configuration after alsamixer use 'alsactl store' both in root. Double check digital output to digital speakers.
    hth

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Exclamation

i tried what md5 said and yes, i had a couple of muted items, but still i don't have sound... what should i do...

then i tried doing alsaconf but i get a
    "command not found"
    error

help me guys...
    Dell Dimension 4600

Just Joined!
    Well, you've got to get into Linux. You need to find the path.
    try ]$ locate alsaconf
    It might read: /usr/sbin/alsaconf
    and do it in root BTW.

--- edit ---
    Apparently Debian variant distros have alsaconf.
    ]$ locate snd-emu10k1x
    and see if this driver is included. If it is then
    ]# modprobe snd-emu10k1x
    check lsmod
    If not then you will need to download it from alsa.

Angry

hey guys! i'm so mad right now! i've been w/o sound for a couple of weeks now and it's driving me crazy... here's what i've done so far:

i've researched the whole internet looking for a way to install the drivers...

i've run "lspci" on my terminal and here is what i got for the sound

Code:
    02:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] EMU10k1X
    02:01.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] Input device controlle
    i've run "alsactl --v" on my terminal and here is what i got

Code:
    albertlv@albertlv-desktop:~/Desktop$ alsactl --v
    alsactl version 1.0.11
    i've been at the alsa-project.org website and i know my card is supported by the drivers... but i don't know how to install them on my ubuntu 6.10

I've also gone to my "alsamixer" in terminal and checked for muted outputs... they are all now unmutted, still no sound...

please, if any of you have any clue on how to install my sound STEP by STEP in this OS with this sound card, please, i beg you... HELP!

Thanks!
    Dell Dimension 4600

anybody?? any help?? please...
    Dell Dimension 4600

Alsaconf should be in alsa-utils. I'm not using Ubuntu right now so I don't know if it is installed by default. If not, install that. Then, type the following:
    Code:
    sudo alsaconf
    Configure your card through that (it's easy, trust me). After, use alsamixer to make sure that all your settings are unmuted and up. Then, do:
    Code:
    sudo alsactl store
    to store the settings (so you don't have to do this everytime you start your comp).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Alsaconf should be in alsa-utils. I'm not using Ubuntu right now so I don't know if it is installed by default. If not, install that. Then, type the following:
    Code:
    sudo alsaconf
    Configure your card through that (it's easy, trust me). After, use alsamixer to make sure that all your settings are unmuted and up. Then, do:
    Code:
    sudo alsactl store
    to store the settings (so you don't have to do this everytime you start your comp).

Bryan
    I type
    Code:
     sudo alsaconf
    and i get a

Code:
    sudo: alsaconf: command not found
    Dell Dimension 4600

Did you make sure alsa-utils was installed like I mentioned?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast