Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking to mount a external hdd USB to my ubuntu 6.06 but it wont show in my fdisk -l how do i go about it?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question USB HDD wont show in fdisk -l to mount

I am looking to mount a external hdd USB to my ubuntu 6.06 but it wont show in my fdisk -l how do i go about it?

Just Joined!
    Are you trying boot from the usb hdd? If so, Try this link.

However, a few codicils that aren't addressed there.

First, find out for sure where your usb hdd is listed in bios. You would think that it would be under "usb devices.", but mine was listed under hard drives. Also, I found that my setting wasn't "sticky" after the connection was terminated. That is, when I either disconnect the usb cable or disconnect power to the usb hdd, the setting in bios reverts to booting the laptop hdd first. so for the first time of powering up, I have to go into bios and reset to boot the usb hdd (listed as Maxtor) before the internal hdd (listed as Toshiba). I don't know how uinversal that is, but it's something to keep in mind. And it makes no reference in bios to the Maxtor being connected via usb. As far as my bios is concerned, it's a hdd, period.

I didn't know those two pieces of information, and I played around with different module loading orders. But as soon as I adjusted for those things, the set of instructions I used, from that link, went off like baking cookies.

Just Joined!
    no im not trying to boot frm it, mayb this info will help:

http://pastebin.com/829050

Just Joined!
    the link wouldn't load for me. but double check things like the cable connection and power (I was really glad nobody could see how frustrated I was getting when my hard drive power wan't turned on). Also, try different usb ports. When it's connected and turned on, does it show up in BIOS? As what?