Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I just purchased another 320GB drive and was planning to make it ext3. I installed it onto the SATA3 controller of my PC (I'm already using SATA contorllers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

massive mkfs.ext3 screwup

Hi all,

I just purchased another 320GB drive and was planning to make it ext3. I installed it onto the SATA3 controller of my PC (I'm already using SATA contorllers 1 and 2 for other drives)

I issued the command:
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc (thinking this was going to correspond to SATA3 - as sda and sdb would corro. to SATA1 and 2)

LOOKS LIKE THIS IS WHERE I STUFFED UP!!!

I have now somehow made it so that I cannot access my SATA2 drive.

If anyone can help me restore this it would be greatly appreciated as I have approx 300GB of data on it.

SATA1 = NTFS
    SATA2 was NTFS; now ext3 (I think)
    SATA3 = Not partitioned yet...

In hindsight I should have mounted each sda/sdb/sdc into a temp directory to confirm that it was empty. I would like to blame the wife, she was nagging me to take out the garbage while I was performing this delicate procedure. lol

I'm currently in the process of using a windows tool (Ontrack Pro) to recover raw data from the drive so hopefully it will find all my files!

Thanks in advance!

try TestDisk. its an execellent Data/Partition Recovery tool.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First