Hi,

Firstly, I'm a complete novice when it comes to Linux. As in, a COMPLETE novice. Bring me a Windows system, or a Mac and no problem, but Linux? Can't get my head around :P

Basically I've seen all the stuff floating around about Ubuntu, what it can do with XGL etc and wanted to give it a go myself.

I downloaded both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions of Ubuntu (Neither are the 'Alternate' versions either).

I have the following setup (Basic specs).

CPU: AMD X2 4400+
RAM: 2GB DDR
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Drives: 2x36.7 WD SATA Drives
SATA Chipset: SiliconImage 3114
Video: ATI Radeon X1800 XT

Ok, so I boot off the LiveCD (either) and load up Ubuntu. Because it doesnt appear to support my raid (I'm running the above drives in RAID0) it displays them both seperatly so to avoid confusion, I deleted the RAID altogether. I'd also like to point out that I have tried with the drives on both the RAID SATA ports and the standard SATA ports and end up with the same issue.

So, I install it on one of the drives, basically letting it do what it want's with them. So it installs fine and I reboot. Then when the 'Ubuntu' logo appears on the screen along with a progress bar, the progress bar loads about 2mm, freezes and sits there until I reboot the system. I've sat on this for about 20 minutes with no change.

This happens with both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit installations. From what I heard, the difference between the standard and alternate downloads is that one is a GUI based installer, and the other is a text based installer. Installing the OS isn't the issue so i've not tried the alternate versions.

I've also tried hitting Esc during the bootloader loading sequence, and selecting the second (safe mode or something) option. It scrolls a load of stuff down the screen and hangs on something to do with USB for about 30 seconds, and then strangely, it continues without a problem.

Being a complete newbie with Linux, it took me ages to find how to get to the console but I can now get to a grub prompt.

I've googled this issue several times and a lot of people have suggested graphics drivers could be an issue? Strangely it works fine off the LiveCD but I don't know how that works in comparison to the installed version.

If anyone has any idea's for me to try or anything then could you please put them in utterly dummy step by step guides, because I've seen a few possible solutions that i've not been able to try because they link somewhere and say do this, and then do this etc and i've not got anywhere like that!

One of the guides to installing my graphics drivers mentioned editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file, but I have no idea how to edit a file outside of the GUI lol.

Also, booting off the LiveCD, I am unable to access the drives in the machine. I go to the partition manager and they are displayed there, but right clicking gives no mount option. there is an unmount option but its greyed out so I seem unable to access the drives through the LiveCD.

If anyone has any idea's i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Keir