Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya, I just have a quick question. Is there any Visual Basic 6 IDE's for Linux or would it be better if I ran it in a VMware Virtual Computer? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VB IDE for Linux

Hiya, I just have a quick question.

Is there any Visual Basic 6 IDE's for Linux or would it be better if I ran it in a VMware Virtual Computer?

Thanks

Matt™

Just Joined!

Lightbulb Gambas

Within my knowledge, there aren't any VB 6 IDEs for Linux. However, there are several IDEs that are like VB, i.e. similar syntax, etc.
    My favorite is Gambas. It does have a VB compatibility library, but it has some differences.
    Sorry if you needed VB6 exactly. There may be something, but I don't know about it. Hope this helps.

Two years ago, when I was taking a VB class, I searched high and low for a VB-compatible development environment on Linux. I finally came to the conclusion that there is none, since making one would require licensing IP from Microsoft. If you just want to program in Basic, then i80and's suggestion of Gambas is the best I found.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok i suppose that will have to do .... Thanks for the advice

The reason i needed a VB6 IDE is because I am doing it as part of my college studies.

Would it be a good idea if I ran a virtual pc of windows and ran a suitable IDE off of there? Because I would need to test it aswell.

Thanks again

Matt

It would certainly work though working in a virtual machine is frustratingly slow. WINE may be of help but I believe Visual Studio has a lot of dependencies so it may be difficult to get going.

Just Joined!
    Ok, i am going to try out both methods.

How hard is it to get a virtual pc working?

It is not very hard if you use something like VMWare Server. It will be slower especially if you don't have much ram. Running it through a virtual machine is a good solution if you are willing to take the speed slowdown.

Why not run a dual boot with windows and linux?

Would it work with something like crossover office? It is untested but it appears to be working. I don't know how well it will work though if you get into using a lot of windows api.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    It apparently works well in Wine, but I'd suggest Gambas or Mono's .NET version of Visual Basic.

http://www.mono-project.com/VisualBasic.NET_support