Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed dapper and then upgraded to edgy.. That all went great. I then installed ivtv manually and that went great.. then I installed myttv and this also went ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

missing /home folder

I just installed dapper and then upgraded to edgy..

That all went great. I then installed ivtv manually and that went great.. then I installed myttv and this also went great.. then i started fidling with lirc- went bad..

anyway everything was ok last night but today I am not able to log into kde.. the computer is setup on my tv so it was hard to read the error, but i get as far as the login screen..

Mouse doesn't work - but i can insert user and password... Then there is a error stating that home/mediapc does not exist... so i am unable to login..

I can however login to kde in recovery mode - but the home folder is empty. It seems as if it hasn't been mounted or something.. it is a separate partion.. mouse doesn't work in recovery mode..

Everything also works fine when I use the dapper kernel at boot... even the mouse works.

need help on this one..

Ok you are logging in as mediapc but the mediapc directory doesn't exist. I assume you made the mediapc user to use with mythtv but forgot to create the mediapc directory.
    You should have another user name that was created when you fisrt installed. Login as that user and type the following in a terminal. Enter the logged in user's password when prompted.

sudo mkdir /home/mediapc
    sudo chown -R /home/mediapc mediapc:users

Now login as mediapc and it should create the default directories need for your window manager.

If for some reason you don't have any other login names defined
    there is a way around that too. Just let us know.

I only have one user called mediapc

the /home/medipc directory is about 220GB on a separate partion and should exist already because I have all my music on it.

It just dosen't show up when I boot edgy.. When booting dapper kernel i can access /home/medipc and everything on it...

maybe it has something to do with kde or gdm??

I booted edgy in recovery mode - there are some error messages regarding the file system: file system NOT clean

How can i fix this... it usually is fixed during startup??

Fixed - i'm reinstalling everything......