Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help, I am trying to compile some of the software I found on Source Forge, but whem I try to compile it, I get an error message that says something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Software compiler

Help,
    I am trying to compile some of the software I found on Source Forge, but whem I try to compile it, I get an error message that says something along the lines of an insufficient C compiler. Can anybody help?

You need to install a compiler then.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    should be a good start (it includes "gcc" and "make").

Remember that compiling software from sources in Ubuntu is not necessary, as most packages are present in the repositories (either main, restricted, universe, or multiverse).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

You need to use apt to install the build tools. Type the following in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    You should also see if the program you want is available through apt. If it is, you won't have to compile anything and fight with any dependencies.

If you would like an explanation as to how to use apt, post back and I will gladly give you one.

Bryan

*EDIT* Apparently, antidrugue types faster than me
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Ok, maybe I didn't explain the situation properly. I have tried to compile several different softwares. When I do, it says I have an insufficient C compiler in Kubuntu. I have the gcc package, and I don't know what to do. Please help me.

The build-essential package contains everything you need to build packages.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Great thread guys. I went to "make" a package on my Ubuntu system and damned if it didn't report back "make: command not found". Google led me to this thread and after a quick apt session I'm good to go.