Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have searched all over and I must not be able to come up with the correct search words or something. Here is the deal... I have a Debian 3.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Z3n
    Just Joined!

Apache2 on Ubuntu displaying M$ formated material

I have searched all over and I must not be able to come up with the correct search words or something. Here is the deal...

I have a Debian 3.1 sarge system running Apache2. We receive and obscene amount of material from our customers formated in M$ word or Excel format that individuals here feel it is OK to just throw up on the web. On the Debian system these pages come up with no troubles at all.

Problem is that the decision has been made to move every one of our Linux servers to Ubuntu. I have setup the new system the same but instead of displaying the M$ formated pages correctly, it is interpreting the 'special M$ formatting' as wing-dings...

Example:
    1) What are the Pricing subsegments for:������ ESR����� ����������������������� Non-ESR�����������������

Now the black boxes should just be an underline for the answer (this is a printable test...) I am getting this all over the place and I can't seem to figure it out. I have checked to make sure the same modules are installed and working, the config files and the same (pulled the working ones from the server that displaying them correctly) and I just can't seem to put my finger on the what is going on.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I am not sure the answer here so you'll have to bear with me. Have you tried installing the msttcorefonts?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Z3n
    Just Joined!
    doing this right now... Thanks for the unbelievably quick response...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Z3n
    Just Joined!
    I have those fonts installed but to no avail... still getting improper display of webpages...

Still searching...

Z3n
    Just Joined!
    Good afternoon,

Still searching on this topic.

Anyone else with any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Try installing Automatix and d/ling the Etra Fonts package they have.

About the only thing I could recommend. It includes the msttcorefonts as well as some others and since you already have the msttcorefonts package, hopefully it will be one of the others it installs.

Z3n
    Just Joined!
    It seems that everyone is in some sort of agreement that it is fonts that are causing the problem?

Z3n
    Just Joined!
    Just an update. A helpful fellow on the ubuntu forums pointed out the solution and I thought it would be good to put this one to rest too.

MJN suggested to add the directive AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1 to the apache2.conf file. Upon looking at the file to get this done, the line is there but commented out.

Uncommented, restarted apache and things are looking beautiful. Thanks to all for their ideas and support.

--Z3n