Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very new to Linux. I used to play around with Knoppix. I recenetly ordered a Ubuntu disc and was shocked by the simplicity and smoothness of the installation. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WMV in Ubuntu

I am very new to Linux. I used to play around with Knoppix. I recenetly ordered a Ubuntu disc and was shocked by the simplicity and smoothness of the installation. It even makes my crappy old laptop run well. But I am a big fan of an on going web series called Red Vs. Blue. There files are generally in wmv and lo and behold they won't play.

I need to get a program or something to get these files to play. Anything someone could show me to do would be very helpful. I however have no experience with Terminal. So if it is a serious step in anything I need to do I will practically need a "For Dummies" guide.

I know this is not a common problem, but I was hoping someone has pracitce with downloading programs on ubuntu and could assist me with another problem. I would like to get the program X Link Kai on my laptop as they have a Linux version but my two attempts so far have failed as I am indeed a noob.

If anyone can help me with either of these problems please do and thanks for your time.

Just Joined!
    try to install w32codecs from here it should work without any problem

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Download and install Automatix. Not only will you be able to get wmv and other proprietary codecs to work but lots of other useful things.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fury
    I am very new to Linux. I used to play around with Knoppix. I recenetly ordered a Ubuntu disc and was shocked by the simplicity and smoothness of the installation. It even makes my crappy old laptop run well. But I am a big fan of an on going web series called Red Vs. Blue. There files are generally in wmv and lo and behold they won't play.

I need to get a program or something to get these files to play. Anything someone could show me to do would be very helpful. I however have no experience with Terminal. So if it is a serious step in anything I need to do I will practically need a "For Dummies" guide.

I know this is not a common problem, but I was hoping someone has pracitce with downloading programs on ubuntu and could assist me with another problem. I would like to get the program X Link Kai on my laptop as they have a Linux version but my two attempts so far have failed as I am indeed a noob.

If anyone can help me with either of these problems please do and thanks for your time.
    I read your post because I, too, want to get .wmv working on my system.

One thing I can suggest that might help you is that, when someone gives you a line of code to use in Terminal, use copy & paste to enter the code.

Its critical that you use the spaces, know the difference between 1 (one) l (lower case 'el') and L (upper case 'el'). On some keyboards these characters cause confusion.

Don't ask me HOW LONG it took me to figure this out.

The following may help you when you get to try Terminal :-

http://www.ss64.com/bash/index.html

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/...?path=s/screen

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BasicCommands

Hope this helps you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gg234
    try to install w32codecs from here it should work without any problem
    Hi, your link here look quite helpful but I got stuck on this line:-

" Edit /etc/apt/sources.list file and enter the following repositories "

Do I enter this:- " Edit /etc/apt/sources.list file " in Terminal ?

And then, by, " enter the following repositories " does this mean to copy what follows and paste it in?

Kind regards.

Just Joined!
    A program that will handle wmv is mplayer. It is installable from the standard repositories, I forget which. I'm not sure that the extra codecs needed do however. They can be downloaded from the mplayer home page. Just google mplayer and you'll find it. One thing to keep in mind is that Ubuntu has stayed with the old directory location for the codecs which is /usr/lib/win32. It's all somewhere in mplayer's docs.

Quote Originally Posted by limeylew
    Do I enter this:- " Edit /etc/apt/sources.list file " in Terminal ?
    Try this:
    Code:
    $sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    then enter root password.
    And then, by, " enter the following repositories " does this mean to copy what follows and paste it in?
    Exactly. Then just save and close the file.