Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm new to Ubuntu and the Linux community and I have the first of what will likely become many questions. I'm currently up on Ubuntu "Edgy" 6.10, running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ALSA Install Failure

Hello all, I'm new to Ubuntu and the Linux community and I have the first of what will likely become many questions. I'm currently up on Ubuntu "Edgy" 6.10, running the XGL Beryl GUI. Problem is I have no sound, I did, until I tried to install Alsa drivers for my SB Audigy. I downloaded and installed the drivers from the alsa project web-site, following their instructions listed for my card. I'm able to get libs and utils installed, utils took a little editing but it works now, the driver is the problem. Here's the what I'm receiving during the install of the driver:

mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/sound/acore
    cp snd-hpet.ko snd-hwdep.ko snd-page-alloc.ko snd-pcm.ko snd-rawmidi.ko snd-timer.ko snd.ko /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/sound/acore
    cp: cannot stat `snd-hpet.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-rawmidi.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd.ko': No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [modules_install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.9rc4a/acore'
    make: *** [install-modules] Error 1

I've run alsaconf and alsamixer. Alsamixer comes up with the following:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

Alsaconf comes up stating I have no PCI card and askes to scan for legacy ISA, trust me I have an SB Audigy PCI. Device Manager actually shows an SB Audigy with driver installed. The built in audio mixer says I have no sound card, I've made sure to select ALSA as my audio driver. I'm fairly positive this points back to the driver's failure to install. I'm running as root for all of this.

Regards,
    Rydes

Just Joined!