Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a screwed up partition setup. I want to eliminate some partitions, move my / and /home to primary rather than logical area, and in general clean up the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Change partitions and reinstall UBUNTU

I have a screwed up partition setup. I want to eliminate some partitions, move my / and /home to primary rather than logical area, and in general clean up the mess. Right now I have / in sda10, /home in sda11, swap in sda8 and Windows XP at the beginning. The rest of the disk can be cleared out IMNSHO. I created the /home so that I could reinstall Ubuntu without losing my files.

What I would like to do is reinstall Ubuntu in sda3, move /home to sda4 and clear out the rest of the disk except for Windows XP. How do I reinstall and then link the new install to the /home already existing? How do I also do the reinstall and get the Grub to use the new install instead of the old one? When I do the reinstall do I need to create a new /swap? I have looked and some of it makes sense but it is the linking of new and old files that I find confusing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Well if you try what you are proposing you will run into the problem that you can only have 4 primary partitions and one of them will contain all the extended partitions.
    Backup your /home partition and start over using extended partitions is my advice
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360