Find the answer to your Linux question:
I set up ubuntu on my system (p4 2.4ghz 2gb ram, 256mb ati x800 gto) over the weekend, and loaded beryl without any problems. Initially when i set it up, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".

I set up ubuntu on my system (p4 2.4ghz 2gb ram, 256mb ati x800 gto) over the weekend, and loaded beryl without any problems. Initially when i set it up, the command "glxinfo | grep direct" would show "direct rendering: yes". For some reason now however, it says direct rendering does not work, and gives an error that DRI is not suported:
    Code:
    $ glxinfo | grep direct
    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
    direct rendering: No

$ fglrxinfo
    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X800 GTO Generic
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6011 (8.28.8)
    I noticed the error initially while i was installing something under wine (i got a similar error about extentension XFree...").

What's strange is that xgl still seems to work just fine- i still have wobbly windows, transparencies, and all other kinds of pizzazz. The only thing i have noticed lately that is odd is that when i click on icon to load firefox / thunderbird, it will at first open very slowly (just display a and empty rectangular outline of the window that gets larger and larger) and then after couple seconds it loads up as usual.

anyone have any idea whats up? I would guess it has something to do ati drivers installed, but i have no clue where to start.

Any help would be very much appreciated,
    Thanks!
    Keith

yeah i had a similar problem on suse last year. if i remember rightly its a module which you can choose to install or neglect during the install process. (or it certainly was a while ago..) try a reinstall and pay really close attention to what the installer says, should give you an option to turn it on or off iirc.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463