Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I Have A Blueyonder Moderm And I Want To Use This On Ubuntu, How Would I Do This? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blueyonder for ubuntu 5.10

Hi Everyone, I Have A Blueyonder Moderm And I Want To Use This On Ubuntu, How Would I Do This?
    Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    Blueyonder modems normally have an ethernet port on them. The easiest way to make it work is to use a network lead.

If you don't want to use the ethernet port for whatever reason then it is fairly easy to make the USB port work too.

Drivers should be fairly easy. First of all you need to get a list of current network devices. As root:

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    Then load the modem drivers, again as root:

Code:
    modprobe CDCEther
    modprobe usbnet
    CDCEther allows you to connect to the modem, and usbnet creates network device to communicate over this connection. Check that these have worked by going

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    Then run dhclient on the new device (changing eth0 to whatever the device is).

Code:
    dhclient3 -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0
    If you have previously connected a computer to the modem you may have a problem with the usbnet device having a different MAC address. I've heard reports that they have stopped checking that but if the dhclient command fails you should unplug the cable modem for a few minutes and try again, or change the MAC settings in the customer profile webpage the Blueyonder will have set up for you.

Assuming all that works, put the modules into /etc/modules and reboot. Then configure the device to use dhcp as you would any other network card.

All of this is done from the command line which means you'll be able to run them against any distribution you care to install.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

or failing that, plug it into a router and then plug your pc into the router and you don't have to install anything.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close