Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, whats the general opinion on word processors? i've looked at OOo and Abiword; are there any others and what are the general pros and cons?# thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best word processor for ubuntu

hey,

whats the general opinion on word processors? i've looked at OOo and Abiword; are there any others and what are the general pros and cons?#

thanks

Just Joined!
    I like Abiword because it works faster on my machine, but it doesn't have graphics support. OO is ok, but it takes a while to boot if your machine isn't too fabulous. I haven't tried any others, says the girl with the rather pointless post.

OOo and AbiWord are the only ones I've tried too, and I stuck with OOo mostly because AbiWord was incomplete. For me, OOo is about as good as anything, short of WordPerfect.

Depending on what you do, you might also have a look at LyX.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

There are about 40 WP packages compared at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ord_processors -- not all running on Linux, however ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    I am using OO and it's quite satisfying. Haven't tried another yet, but surely will give a try. Just to see what it has to offer.

Linux Newbie
    I think OO speed has to do with java. Just switch to sun java and open office will really perk up.

actually you can run open office without using java. I think the reason why it is so slow is that it is a HUGE program that does tons of stuff!

To get back to the op, it depends on what you want to do with it. Abiword is good enough if you are doing "short" papers (I would say less than 20 pages) and Open Office is good for complex docs were interoptabilty(spell?) with word is important. If you want nice formating for complex things try laTeX (or lyx as said above).
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    I disagree, there are many functions in open office that you need java enabled to use. I don't think it has to do with the size, it really is more responsive with Sun java.

Just Joined!
    thanks very much everyone, certainly has given me a few ideas to chew over!

oo sounds like the best option for me, altho i will def consider updating my java.

will keep you posted!

thanks again

joe

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by polemarchus
    hey,

whats the general opinion on word processors? i've looked at OOo and Abiword; are there any others and what are the general pros and cons?#

thanks

Yes,OO is very good,