Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everyone. Very new to this. I did a search including the terms "boot disk won't boot" among many others but nothing came up. I've been reading for about 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

boot disk won't boot

Hey everyone. Very new to this. I did a search including the terms "boot disk won't boot" among many others but nothing came up. I've been reading for about 3 hours now so forgive me if this has been answered before.

I am attempting to install Ubuntu onto a pc that currently has no OS installed. There are two harddrives (one set to master and one set to slave on the primary ribbon) and a cd rom drive (set to master on the secondary ribbon). No floppy drive.

I have downloaded and burned the "ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso" file onto a disk on my main computer but for some reason it will not boot on the one mentioned above.

Some of the specs on the machine I'm trying to install this on are 550mhz pentium 3 and 512 mb ram. Again there is no OS, the two harddrives are 80gb and 40gb.

When I try to booth it the screen comes up that says hit f1 to continue or del for settings. In the BIOS settings I have the PNP set to disabled, bootfirst set to cd rom, and bootsecond set to HDD. After I save the settings it restarts and the same screen comes up, if I hit f1 to continue the computer stalls at "verifying DMI Pool Data...." and won't do anything else.

I believe the disk is fine. I put it into the computer I burned it from and check the disk and the .iso file shows up on the disk.

Can anyone point out the obvious and tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

I appreciate any insight and thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

I believe the disk is fine. I put it into the computer I burned it from and check the disk and the .iso file shows up on the disk.
    you should not have an .iso image on CD. you have to burn it on CD.
    in Nero or ( any other image burning package ), select 'Burn Image to Disc' in Menu and select downloaded .iso image.
    check this link.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    okay, I got it to load all the way to a dos prompt. Was sitting at a:, the cd is in the d: drive so I switched to that. I'm at a loss for what I'm supposed to do now. No searches have yielded anything to do with dos.

Dos Prompt ? it means you burned CD as bootable.
    as i suggested earlier, select 'burn image to disc' option. dont make CD bootable and dont select any other option.
    insert blank CD, select 'Burn Image to Disc' option in Burner, select downloaded .iso image and burn it.

casper

Just Joined!
    My apologies, I was able to get this up and running. As a moderator on a BlackBerry community I understand the frustration of someone asking a question that has been answerd 100 times and appreciate your patience casper.

Feel free to delete this thread. I will be reading the forums all day at work today trying to learn how to convert my new Linux box to a "server". Thanks for the info regarding the install.

Paul

You could download the alternate CD and just do a server install, that way you don't have to struggle tightening up the desktop version
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Just Joined!
    If I may extend this thread as his explanation of how he has his system set up is similar to mine though my specs are a bit less.

I have Ubuntu installed on one hard drive and XP on a second drive. I did NOT have both drives connects as Master and Slave when installing Ubuntu. I was hoping to just be able to hook up the Ubuntu HD to Master and XP to slave and use grub to pick which HD to boot to.

Unfortunately it stops loading right after detecting the first HD.

I've looked at the Bios and best I can tell it does not detect the second HD. Where can I take it from here?

Thanks

Greg

Just Joined!
    Thanks towy71, after reading more I decided that this would be the best way to go. Will I have to erase the current version of ubuntu 6.10 off the harddrive prior to booting with the alternate disk or can I just install over it? In regards to the alternate disk I just want to verify that you mean the server version of 6.10?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg B
    I've looked at the Bios and best I can tell it does not detect the second HD. Where can I take it from here?
    un-plug Windows HardDisk and plug-in Ubuntu harddisk as Primary Master. is Ubuntu Booting up properly?

casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    un-plug Windows HardDisk and plug-in Ubuntu harddisk as Primary Master. is Ubuntu Booting up properly?

casper
    Yes

I can plug in XP as the master and that boots up properly as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast