Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, So I've got a laptop that I want to switch over to Linux with. I've never used Linux, not even seen it in person, so I'm a complete ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Switching Over a High-Spec Laptop - HELP!

Hi all,
    So I've got a laptop that I want to switch over to Linux with. I've never used Linux, not even seen it in person, so I'm a complete noob as far as Linux is concerned. However, I'm pretty computer saavy otherwise, so I won't need too much hand-holding.

I've attempted to make the switch a few times in the past, to no avail. I've always hit a snag somewhere along the way, and I'm virtually certain its because of the hardware in my setup, which is the following:

Alienware Aurora m9700
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile; ML-44, 2.41 GHz
    2GB RAM; 2 x 1024MB, DDR
    Dual HDDs in RAID 0; 2 x 80GB (RAID is via some nVidia component that is semi-transparent to the OS. Needs drivers but is otherwise unrecognized by the system.)
    2 x nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS (SLi) video cards

Those are the basics. Its got some other things, like a Bluetooth module and an ExpressCard slot, but lest tackle the basics first. What do I need to do to get Ubuntu running on this thing? I have another computer I can work on, as well as about 100 available to me at school, so I'm not afraid to back up my files on the laptop and scrub the disks clean for a fresh start. I'm also pretty familiar with the RAID controller interface, so I can modify the array.

I've attempted Live CDs and DVDs, as well as full installations on an external drive. All of them have snagged somewhere about halfway through the installation or at the end, at login.

Any and all help is very appreciated.

Mike

PS - Thanks for having a great forum setup. Very smooth.

If you've had snags during installation, it usually has something to do with the CD being corrupted during download of the ISO or burning of the ISO.

Make sure to do a checksum on the image before you burn it, and then burn it at a slow speed (something like 4x or 8x). This guide should help:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

Just Joined!
    Thanks, that's the first thing I'm going to try, then.

As I said above, I'm running an AMD Turion 64. I know I can run either the x86 version or the 64-bit version of Ubuntu, but will I find better compatibility with either?

I don't have any personal experience with 64-bit, but I've read a lot, and basically it comes down to performance v. compatibility.

With the 64-bit version, you'll get better performance. However, there are fewer packages available for the 64-bit version. In particular, I don't think you'll be able to run Flash in your browser or run Wine. There may be some other programs, too, that you won't be able to run easily in 64-bit. Hacks exist, of course, like this one.

Just Joined!
    This video is really helpful, you can run it during the installation too which is helpful

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...al+boot+ubuntu