Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have now tried to install xmms and an astronomy program called Stellarium but could not install any of them. Everytime I got to the point where I had to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no c compiler in path

I have now tried to install xmms and an astronomy program called Stellarium but could not install any of them. Everytime I got to the point where I had to write ./configure my terminal told me that I needed a c compiler in path to install the programmes. How do I do this?

First, what distribution are you using ? You might be able to install these packages without compiling.

If you want to compile you have to install gcc.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by unchiujar
    First, what distribution are you using ? You might be able to install these packages without compiling.

If you want to compile you have to install gcc.
    I am using Ubuntu. And thank you so much. It worked!

Now the terminal just does not know the "make" command. Ehm, how do I fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by phopogologo
    Now the terminal just does not know the "make" command. Ehm, how do I fix that?
    install 'build-essential' package. it is available in installation CD. add CDROM in the repository of Synaptic, click on 'reload' button, search 'build-essential' package and install it.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    install 'build-essential' package. it is available in installation CD. add CDROM in the repository of Synaptic, click on 'reload' button, search 'build-essential' package and install it.

casper
    I have reloaded and think I have installed "build-essential" . Now I suddenly need something called GLIB version 1.2.2 in order to install XMMS.

...Help...I am ignorant. :P

type 'xmms' in search box of Synaptic and install it. Synaptic will take care of all dependency problems.

casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    type 'xmms' in search box of Synaptic and install it. Synaptic will take care of all dependency problems.

casper
    Hey, it works. Thank you so much. I'll try to remember to use synaptics it seems much easier than the terminal.

you are Welcome phopogologo !
    Synaptic is best package for installation.

Casper