Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CD zero checksum error & installation failure

First, thanks to all of you out there who endeavor to mentor those of us who are brand spanking new to Linux. I appreciate what you do, and down the road hope that I can give back to the community.

Second, I downloaded 2 versions of the Ubuntu 6.06LTS from the Ubuntu website, one for the AMD64 and the other for i386. The OS seems to run fine from the CD's on both machines, but in checking the CD's, both state a "zero checksum error."

Perhaps you could elaborate on the significance of that.

Third, using the automatic installation routine on the i386 CD, when attempting to install a dual boot configuration with Win98 SE, during the partitioning phase near the end of the routine, the message "enough space could not be created" appears. Prior to the install attempts, I defragmented the disk and have about 65 GB available, half of which I was attempting to make available to LInux.

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan
    "zero checksum error."
    This refers to the CD md5sum, which is a way to check the data signature of the CD. It means that either the CD was badly burn, or the .iso file was corrupt from the beginning. It is fairly common.

Make sure you follow the steps described here to burn the Ubuntu CD :
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

Also, using the latest version of Ubuntu is perhaps a better idea (so Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 instead of 6.06).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

There's no point in trying to proceed with installing Linux if you got errors.

If you're coming from the Windows world you may have never dealt with md5's before. There are numerous md5 utilities available that will run under Windows. Linux distros include their own md5 utilities.

I like md5Summer for a Windows PC

You unzip Summer, then use it to check your download. Take a look at Herman's page, where he describes using md5Summer.

Go back to the website where you downloaded your Ubuntu downloads. Scroll down the page a bit to find a file called "MD5SUMS" or something like that. It's at the top of the blue files. Find the md5 for the .iso you downloaded and write it down EXACTLY as it appears. Then compare with the md5 that Summer created after sampling your download. If the 2 numbers don't line up your download failed. It has to be exact. Not close. Identical. If it failed here, delete the download and try again.

If you check your download and it's OK, then we have to assume the failure was in the burning. Try again. Use good quality CD's, use R, not RW, and burn it SLOW. 2X if an old PC, no faster than 8X if it's a very fast PC. Use the "Check CD for Errors" utility like you did before.

EDIT: If you're not sure about getting the right MD5SUMS from the download webpage, paste your download link into a reply and we can show you which ones to use.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the replies. I did perform the checksum as both of you directed, and there are apparently no errors in the downloaded files. I learned a tremendous amount through following the links and reading the encountered info.

I burned the iso and checked out the CD, and the final message is: "check finished, 0 [zero] checksums failed."

Now I can interpret that two different ways: if there happen to be such things as "zero checksums" (tests), they failed; or, none of the checksums failed. The OS works fine running from the CD.

Before I try the install again, please further enlighten me about the meaning of the message! I will then know whether to burn another CD or not. I performed the last one on a 52X disc at 8x on a 48X drive.

Regards