Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have my keyboard in english, but sometimes I type in spanish and I need the '˝' character... the shorcut in Windows was Alt+164 but here that doesn't seem to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how to write ˝

I have my keyboard in english, but sometimes I type in spanish and I need the '˝' character... the shorcut in Windows was Alt+164 but here that doesn't seem to work... Anyone knows how ?

Try changing your keyboard layout to spanish. In ->Desktop ->Preferences ->Keyboard
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

That would work. But I don't want to do that, I type mostly in English, and I'm used to the keyboard like this, I just want to know any way to get that character WHILE having my keyboard in English...is it possible?

You can pull it from the character map if you want. It's a little less straight forward, but you can get it by running gnome-character-map

I'm a bit in the same situation as you are. I mostly type in French (there is accents like in Spanish), but I also use the English keyboard.

So I use 2 different keyboard layouts. I use the shortcut ALT-SHIFT to change keyboard layouts. So in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, just make sure you have those lines in the Section "InputDevice" (the one related to your keyboard) :
    Code:
    Option		"XkbLayout"	"us,es"
    Option		"XkbOptions"	"grp:alt_shift_toggle"
    Then restart the X server.

You can add a notification applet (keyboard layout applet) to your toolbar, so it will display either ES or US.

Here is an example /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you want more details :
    http://antidrugue.dyndns.org/config....rg.conf.killah
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Way to go antidrugue! thank you very much, this is great! ˝˝˝˝˝˝˝˝˝˝˝˝˝;!

No problem ! olÚ !

-Bruce Lee