Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just set up a dual-boot with windows and ubuntu, but this time i installed windows last, so naturally it doesn't want to have anything to do with ubuntu and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can i use gparted to install grub over windows boot loader?

I just set up a dual-boot with windows and ubuntu, but this time i installed windows last, so naturally it doesn't want to have anything to do with ubuntu and just pretends it doesn't exist.

Can i use gparted livecd! to install grub? Or is there a better way to go about setting up boot manager?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I'm new in Linux as well. But as far as I've read, it's easier to install Windows first.
    In principle it should be possible to install grub with the grub-install in command line, but don't ask me

Linux Newbie
    Yea, i've set up a ton of dual-boots before installing linux first, but this time i decided to be more adventurous hehe.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't believe you can, but you can make a GRUB install CD yourself :
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...ble-CD_002dROM

Then install GRUB using it :
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...ub_002dinstall
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    hmm. anyone know if i can use ubuntu or suse's "restore" feature to reinstall grub? I know it will if i do the install over, but would like to avoid that :P

Yes, you can do it with Ubuntu CD (with Suse's one as well) :
    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/softw...ict231779.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    You should be able to use any liveCD type thing where you have a linux environment and have the grub command available to install grub.

Also grub4dos if all else fails

Linux Newbie
    Okay, i booted up ubuntu livecd, and mounted the partitions where i have suse and ubuntu installed, and checked the /boot/grub/menu.lst for both, and they were fine. I then loaded up gparted and changed the flags for each partition so that instead of the ntfs partition having the "boot" flag ubuntu or suse would, and tried booting both. both times however i got something along the lines of "boot error" (although in the case of suse i was left at the grub> cmd line).

Any idea why it won't boot like this? Is there some other place that i have to tell the hard drive where to look for boot loader?

--edit--

Okay, i found a way to get grub back and going, and can boot into ubuntu alright now. What i did was booted the ubuntu livecd, ran "grub", and then typed in:

Code:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    root (hd0,1)
    setup(hd0)
    (where hd0,1 is the location of the partition with the boot loader i wanted to use).

hehe, now however i am having a few different problems. The image for suse bootloader cannot be found ("grub error: /boot/message not found"), which isn't that important.. but also windows and suse won't boot now.

i guess i will play around with it some more and see if i can solve the problems myself.

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys

Linux Newbie
    haha i lose!

After spending a while trying to figure out how to fix the settings via the grub command line, i switched to a new tactic- using suse's repair cd. Once again however, only ubuntu would boot even after trying to repair the install a couple of different ways. So finally i gave in and did a fresh install with suse, and overwrote the old suse partition. Now everything is *almost* back to normal, but when i tried to boot into windows, the process freezes right before getting to the user login screen! (this is baffling since i don' think i ever touched the partition with windows on it). ah well.

moral of the story: if you are planning on doing a multi-boot, always always always do windows first. T_T