Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am currently downloading Ubuntu 6.10. I have been using Suse 10.1 for about 2 months. Just wondering if there is any advice from people who have been using Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Distro question

I am currently downloading Ubuntu 6.10. I have been using Suse 10.1 for about 2 months. Just wondering if there is any advice from people who have been using Ubuntu for awhile. Im sick and tired of all the problems I am having with Suse. Anyway, I have about 40 minutes till my download is done so Ill check back before I down the system for Ubuntu install.

Depending on what problems you had with SuSE, you might have exactly the same problems with Ubuntu. What were your problems?

You may very well be correct there. However, I would like to try out some different distro's before deciding on one. My printer gave me a 5 hour head ache and still does not work even though it should. Brother MFC210C and I went through everything on there website as well as advice I got from Linuxquestions forum. It still is not working. I am pretty disapointed with the software update issues in Suse as well. It seems that almost everything I wanted to do involved having to "Fix" something in Suse or circumvent it in order to get it to work. Im fairly new to Linux but I don't want to spend all my time fixing a Distro, I would have stuck with M$ if I wanted that lol. I also had alot of issues with configuring software that I downloaded but I know I am gonna have issues with that with any distro, Im learning by trial and error though. I think I just need to look at something other then Suse for awhile since I am burned out on Suse. Anyway, Ubuntu is almost finished D/L so Im gonna give it a spin and see what happens.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    While what I'm about to say isn't 100% true, there is still this general principle:
    There's hardware out there that's Linux-compatible and hardware that isn't Linux-compatible.

So the likelihood that things would cause a lot of trouble with SuSE and no trouble at all with Ubuntu is pretty low. Now, it doesn't mean all distros have the same hardware detection (why they all don't is beyond me, considering the detection is defined in the kernel, which is open source). For example, PCLinuxOS can detect my monitor's optimal screen resolution but not my sound card or USB mouse. Ubuntu can detect my sound card and USB mouse but not my monitor's optimal screen resolution.

Some "incompatibility" is just inconvenience--you have to follow some complicated HowTo to get everything working. Other "incompatibility" means "forget it--it won't work... ever."

I think in the case of your Brother MFC210C, it's just the necessity of following a complicated HowTo, and here it is for Ubuntu:
    HOWTO: Install Brother MFC210C

I agree with you, though--try a bunch of distros. I must have tried about twenty before finally settling on Ubuntu myself. I just don't want you to think that if one distro failed you mightily that another will work like magic.

I couldnt agree more with the fact that if one distro fails, it might work on another. I know thats not the case. I do think things could be a little different between some distros due to the fact that different distros have different install files and methods. While this may or may not help, I think it would be a good idea to get familiar with the different methods which will probally help me figure out issues later on and hopefully one of these days Ill get to help someone else out with a problem. Anyway, Im gonna give this Ubuntu a spin and see what I think of it. And thank you very much for linking the printer guide in your last post Im sure I would have been searching for it after install lol. Ill post my reults when I get booted back up. Thanks for the advice and help

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Now, it doesn't mean all distros have the same hardware detection (why they all don't is beyond me, considering the detection is defined in the kernel, which is open source).
    That's not entirely true. A lot of hardware detection is done outside the kernel. Take for instance video. While there's support built into the kernel for some cards, there may be a requirement for external video drivers (nvidia and ati). While nvidia and ati installers both create kernel modules (AFAIK), they are not part of the vanilla kernel so it's dependent on who includes the nvidia/ati drivers with their distro.

Plus, now with a modular X.org, you may find yourself without a driver for your vid card and are therefore stuck with the generic vesa driver. This can explain bad resolutions. Just thought I would point that out.

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 12-13-2006 at 02:25 AM.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Well, I just got Ubuntu installed. And first impressions are very good. I really like the layout. I am definently looking forward to getting under the hood on this one. And right at startup it said there were 41 updates available. And it worked flawlessly!! Thats a hell of alot more then I can say for Suse which definently needs help with there installer and updater. Anyway, Im gonna go play

Ok. I just installed the nvidia driver and all went well. I got the nvidia splash screen on boot up so its installed. I do have a few questions though. How do I verify whether 3d excelleration is enabled? In Suse this can be done by looking at "My computer" and looking in the video section. I didnt see that in Ubuntu. Next is what did I do exactly? Sorry for being noobish but I dont like to just copy from a how to. I like to know what I am doing and why. Here is the code I used to install the driver.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common
    sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

What does sudo mean? apt-get?

Iv never used sudo before or apt-get

Sudo means Super User DO. In other distros you probably typed su to temporarily become root. In Ubuntu the root account is disabled by default. So instead you use sudo.

As for apt-get that is ubnuntu's package manager. Similar to yast in suse. If you prefer a gui based package manager try synaptic if using gnome or adept if using kde.

Thankyou for clearing that up. It makes sense to me now. I think I will stay with the command line as I need the practice but its nice to know that the GUI is there and how they relate to the command line. Thank you very much.
    Sadly, I am having a problem with the printer but I should post in the right area for that. Once again, thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast