Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool GLX Error when Trying to Run Tibia binary

I am attempting to run the binary Tibia (a linux game) from my home directory with the following command:

sudo ./Tibia

and I receive the following error.

X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
    Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
    Serial number of failed request: 179
    Current serial number in output stream: 182

I am a new user to Linux and I installed Ubuntu 2 days ago. I installed (i believe correctly) the latest versions of xfree86 as well as my ATI Radeon 9000 drivers. There seems to be a problem with my X Window Display but I cannot locate a source for this error.

Thank you.

- El_Presidente

Post the output of "glxinfo | grep direct" to check direct rendering
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

I entered the command: glxinfo | grep direct

output:
    direct rendering: No
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

What does this mean? Why is direct rendering disabled, and why won't OpenGL render what I am trying to do?

...So confused.

-El_Presidente

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using ?
    Did you install the ATI proprietary drivers ?

More here :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Also, you should NOT attempt to run a game as root.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I am Using Ubuntu version 6.06.1 LTS.

As I said at the beginning, I thought I installed the ATI drivers correctly. I went to the ATI site (which is apparently owned by amd now? news to me) and dowloaded and installed the ATI Radeon 9000 drivers. I have a laptop by the way, using an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card. (There were Mobility Radeon specific rivers listed on the site, but i didn't find 9000.) I installed the drivers using sudo ./configure in the dowloaded archive, and then make, and make install. Irestarted my computer and as far as I can tell, they installed correctly because on previous unsuccessful attempts, my computer wouldn't boot and I'd have to replace the old xorg file from backup and reboot.

Oh crap, I dont think this is good. I used the link that you provided, ty btw, and tried the lspci command. The VGA card listed is as follows

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 01)

Which is definitely not my card. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook, with ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (pretty sure). Unless under Ubuntu it magically changes to FireGL?

Well, make sure the "fglrx" driver is selected in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, because that is the ATI driver.

The fact that Ubuntu calls your card FireGL is perfectly normal, perhaps your card has the same chipset family as the FireGL one.

The preferred installation method for ATI drivers is really the one I mentioned earlier. Using ATI installer is both more complicated and less reliable, as far as my experience goes.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

the Device section in my Xorg.conf file is as follows:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Driver "fglrx"
    EndSection

I followed the steps in the link that you gave me https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...ded66b40003f25

and installed the provided repository ATI driver for my Dapper Drake distro.

unfortunately at the end, i tried the testing command glxinfo, and fglrxinfo and received a hundred API errors.

[fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for IsFramebufferEXT
    [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for BindFramebufferEXT
    [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for DeleteFramebuffersEXT
    [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for INSERTNEXTMODULEHERE .... etc. etc.

Any ideas?

-El_Presidente

Well, sorry if I wasn't clear in the first place, but I didn't meant that you should install the ATI drivers again. Simply installing the driver again, on top of the ones that were there, is not the thing to do. I was just informing you that of the official way of doing it.

-Bruce Lee