Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have just completed an Install of Ubuntu 6.10 and went to login using the usual linux "root" Username only to find a "Username/Password Incorrect" i am 100% sure of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lost Username

I have just completed an Install of Ubuntu 6.10 and went to login using the usual linux "root" Username only to find a "Username/Password Incorrect" i am 100% sure of the password but cannot find the default username. Does anyone know the Default username or how to recover one i may have created?

'root' login is disabled in Ubuntu. Enter username that you created during installation.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    just reinstalled the OS to make sure, never was prompted. So i am gonna try

sudo useradd username

as that will prompt for the root PW which i can then enter. Then Enable root login from inside Ubuntu using the Root PW.

Think something is buggy with the OEM Install

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Read Casper's response. Root login is disabled on Ubuntu. It doesn't matter how many times you reinstall it. What exactly are you trying to do with this machine that requires a graphical login as root anyway?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    How to allow root user to login into GNOME

Security Tab -> Security -> Allow root to login with GDM (Checked)

Taken from the Ubuntu Wiki... Disabled by DEFAULT, but not Permanently Trashed

As for why, 1) i dont like screwing around with a command line for everyday maintenence on a server.
    2) i dont like typing in admin passwords every 5 minutes cause i wanna perform an admin function

Thus atm, i cant login cause the only existing user is root, and root cant login to GDM. And i dont want like useing a non-admin account on my own machines, so ill enable it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Perigrin
    How to allow root user to login into GNOME

Security Tab -> Security -> Allow root to login with GDM (Checked)

Perhaps, but doing that will only allow graphical login as root, it will not enable the root account.

To enable the root account :
    Code:
    sudo passwd su
    and choose a password for root.

More here :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

Which brings me to : DON'T LOGIN AS ROOT IN A GUI !

Then again, it's your system, do as you please.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    It doesn't matter how many times you reinstall it.
    just to Clarify, the problem that exist is Root is the ONLY user, and ROOT cant login to GDM

I reinstalled to Verify there was no missed option to creat a user capable of logging in.

Never said it couldn't be done, just that the default install always has this disabled, so reinstalling won't help.

As for why, 1) i dont like screwing around with a command line for everyday maintenence on a server.
    A server, well never mind then. If you were doing this for regular user tasks (such as web browsing and such) it would be a very bad idea. We get those requests a lot, which is why I asked.

Thus atm, i cant login cause the only existing user is root, and root cant login to GDM. And i dont want like useing a non-admin account on my own machines, so ill enable it!
    So you're saying Ubuntu didn't ask you to create a regular user account during the install? Are you using the Server distribution?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

just to Clarify, the problem that exist is Root is the ONLY user, and ROOT cant login to GDM

I reinstalled to Verify there was no missed option to creat a user capable of logging in.
    Ah, I see. Can you not log into a console with CTRL+ALT+F1 and fix it from there?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    no, i tried that but then discovered the lack of a GUI Desktop and i am not Proficient enough with the command line to run 100% from Terminal, i am useing the 6.10 Edgy Eft Alternate install Disc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast