Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys,,, Right now i m using Gparted and its showing me three partitions, what does fat16, ntfs and ext3 mean. It seems i have three partitions /dev/sda1 i.e. fat16 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Different Partition format

Hi guys,,,
    Right now i m using Gparted and its showing me three partitions, what does fat16, ntfs and ext3 mean. It seems i have three partitions /dev/sda1 i.e. fat16 39.19MiB , .dev/sda2 ntfs 56.43 GiB and /dev/sda4 ext3 which is 33.94 GiB. I also have 33.94 GiB unallocated space.

They're just different filesystem types.

Fat16 is an older Windows one, fat32 is used by a lot of people for raw storage because Windows and Linux can both safely read/write to it. NTFS is the standard for installing Windows on. Ext3 is the standards for installing a lot of Linux distros.

There's also ReisferFS, XFS and a ton more.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Just Joined!

ubuntu help

Hi thanks for your help,
    Now right now i m working on ubuntu and ubuntu is not working up to date ,more over when i installed ubuntu i dint make use of proper partitioning like i did not use different partition for root,swap and home. which i think i should have done.
    Now i want to first remove ubuntu entirely and then install it again. But the thing is i cant c any partitions from my windows Xp OS. So where did the partitions i created using gparted go during ubuntu installation?? and how do i remove it entirely...
    Thanks for your help,
    I really appreciate it,,,,,

you can delete Ubuntu Partition in Disk Management Tool of Windows. type "diskmgmt.msc" in RUN dialog box. delete Unknown partitions.
    Windows boot up after deleting Ubuntu Partitions coz of GRUB in MBR. boot up from Windows Installation CD, select 'repair' and execute "Fixmbr".

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I dont c any thing other then ntfs and fat32 partition casper, probably because windows does not know anything else, i mean it cannot read any other partition type,,, what do u say??

Windows doesn't recognize Ubuntu (Linux) Partitions but it lists these partitions as 'Unknown' in Disk Management Tool. as i suggested earlier, execute 'diskmgmt.msc' in RUN dialog box or Command prompt. Disk Management Window will pop up. it will show all partitions including Ubuntu's Partitions.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    Windows doesn't recognize Ubuntu (Linux) Partitions but it lists these partitions as 'Unknown' in Disk Management Tool. as i suggested earlier, execute 'diskmgmt.msc' in RUN dialog box or Command prompt. Disk Management Window will pop up. it will show all partitions including Ubuntu's Partitions.

Casper
    Casper could u tell me the difference between extended partition and ext3 file system. And what is the use of logical , primary and extended partitions.

I know i m repeating my questions couple of times in many threads, but tht is bcoz i feel tht would answer me real quick.... sorry if tht bothers u

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by RIZ618
    I know i m repeating my questions couple of times in many threads, but tht is bcoz i feel tht would answer me real quick.... sorry if tht bothers u
    RIZ618 - please don't do that... as it's considered "spamming" the forums.
    oz

actually its against Forums Rules. Double Posts are not allowed here.

you can't create more than Four Primary Partitions. ( why? check here ).
    it means if you already created four Primary Partitions, you cant create any new partition. but if you wanna partition your harddisk in more than four partitions, solution is, Extended Partition. you can create only one Extended Partition and it holds Logical Partitions. there is no limit for the number of Logical Partitions.
    Extended Partition is just a pointer and it contains Logical Partitions.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    actually its against Forums Rules. Double Posts are not allowed here.

you can't create more than Four Primary Partitions. ( why? check here ).
    it means if you already created four Primary Partitions, you cant create any new partition. but if you wanna partition your harddisk in more than four partitions, solution is, Extended Partition. you can create only one Extended Partition and it holds Logical Partitions. there is no limit for the number of Logical Partitions.
    Extended Partition is just a pointer and it contains Logical Partitions.

Casper
    Thanks for letting me know the rule, i wont repeat it from now.
    yeah u r perfect, i menaged to recover my ubuntu and windows ,
    now i have three primary partitions i.e.
    fat16
    ntfs
    ext3
    and one extended partition.
    now i want to create home and root partition withing extended partition, now how do i do tht using gparted. As i m on the system and i cant c any option in gparted tht would allow me to create partition in a extended partition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast