Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just been given a Pent 11 desktop with 256 meg ram and two 6 gig hard disks. I would like to set it up as a test bed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to set up multiple Op systems on same computer

I have just been given a Pent 11 desktop with 256 meg ram and two 6 gig hard disks. I would like to set it up as a test bed for Linux Op Systems such as Ubuntu, DSL,FairyLinux, Puppy and other small signature Op Systems with a Microsoft Win 98 or Xp as a dual boot. Or better still with Ubuntu as the main system and the others as additional boots.
    Any ideas as to how I might do this and be able to get them all into a Grub Menu system. They install ok but I cant get them into a grub to start, and of course Windows takes precedence.
    I dont know where or what commands actually start these other systems or where the executable to start them are stored etc.
    Ive tried Gag43 but that doesnt find anything except Windows.

are you able to boot any installed Linux distro? which boot loader are you using for dual booting?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Multilple Boots

Hi Devils_Casper
    So far I have installed WinXP on one hard disk which I partitioned into two 3 gig sections. One NTFS and one Fat32 for data.
    I partitioned the other disk into 1 gig sections EXT2 and installed uppy Linux in hdb1 and DSL in hdb2 and made a Swap of 1 gig.
    The only system that will boot so far is Win XP
    Puppy Linux said it was installing grub to the MBR but its didnt occur and same with DSL.
    Read a few posts and maybe I should repartition and put all distros including XP on the hda disk and use the hdb for data maybe.
    Dont know how I should get all the systems into a grub as I have no idea what actually starts Puppy and DSL

Read a few posts and maybe I should repartition and put all distros including XP on the hda disk and use the hdb for data maybe.
    No. best way is to install Linux distros in separate harddisk and you already did that. sometime GRUB doesn't work if you install it in MBR of other disk.

un-plug Windows Disk and plug-in Second disk having Puppy and DSL as Primary Master. boot up from Puppy LiveCD and execute 'grub-install /dev/hda' in terminal/konsole. this will re-install GRUB in MBR of harddisk.
    reboot and check if GRUB appears. in case, it doesn't, post the output of fdisk -l command here. ( keep Windows HardDisk un-plugged ).

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Install Puppy etc

Hi Casper,
    Sorry so long winded in replying. I have tried to use the hard disk that I installed Puppy on as master. Puppy installs no problems but wont install the grub correctly. I tried to Grub-Install hda as wel no luck. I have version 2.10 and have been reading that there is an update to 2.13 coming soon. Hopefully it will solve the installation problems I have had. I will repost when I get it and try to install to a hard disk etc. Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Atric
    Hi Casper,
    Sorry so long winded in replying. I have tried to use the hard disk that I installed Puppy on as master. Puppy installs no problems but wont install the grub correctly. I tried to Grub-Install hda as wel no luck. I have version 2.10 and have been reading that there is an update to 2.13 coming soon. Hopefully it will solve the installation problems I have had. I will repost when I get it and try to install to a hard disk etc. Thanks for your help
    what error are you getting after you type what casper suggests? grub-install /dev/hda?

Just Joined!

Puppy grub

Hi Felipe,

It just tells me that Grub Not Found or similar errors, even though a grub supposedly installs with the Puppy install. It goes through the motions of installing Grub anyway and says that grub is installed but when I reboot there is nothing.I installed Ubuntu to hdb1 and installed a grub to the mbr no problems it runs fine with XP dual boot, but for some reason Puppy wont install a grub. I then reformatted the disk and set up the partitions again installed Puppy and the same problem. I rwally believ that there is a glitch in the grub install and maybe the hardware doesnt support it for Puppy. I am waiting on Puppy 2.13 to come out and I will try again with that.