Find the answer to your Linux question:
The scene is this, i have been using fedora for 3 years, recently i updated to fedora 6, but i realized that i know nothing about deb distributiosn so i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    zyd
    Just Joined!

sharing ext3 partition

The scene is this, i have been using fedora for 3 years, recently i updated to fedora 6, but i realized that i know nothing about deb distributiosn so i wanted a taste of it, and nothing better than ubuntu. As you can imaging with 3 years of use, my fedora is quite complete, a 120 Gb /usr Partition, a 200 /home partition, now i want to share my /home partition because i have all my multimedia there, i don't think that is posible to share the same /home/user directory between the two distros for the uid stuff but i just want to be able to use that partition's files from my ubuntu edgy system. i have tried a lot of different things, i have tried every option in the fstab lines but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?.

try to mount Fedora's /home partition manually before addin any entry in fstab file.
    Code:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/<home_partition> /<mount_point>
    in case, manual mount doesn't work, post error message and output of 'fdisk -l' here.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

zyd
    Just Joined!
    i mounte manually and without an entry in fstab, but the result is the same, i cannot access it from a non-root user. The output of fdisk is this:

Disco /dev/hdc: 200.0 GB, 200034123776 bytes

Disposit. Inicio Comienzo Fin Bloques Id Sistema
    /dev/hdc1 1 24321 195363733 6 FAT16

by the way i don't know why it says FAT16, i'm sure it is ext3, since from windows i can't access it without an special driver.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by zyd
    i cannot access it from a non-root user.
    are you able to access it as root user?

Casper

zyd
    Just Joined!
    yes, i have all the rights as a root user, but not as other user. I have tried all the posible options in the mount command, but they don't seem to work.

okkk ! set value of umask to 0 ( zero ).
    Code:
    /dev/hdc1    /<mount_point>    ext3     defaults,umask=0 0 0

Casper