Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Ubuntu, and need to connect it to the Internet through my Windows XP Home box. I connected the PCs together through a router but the Ubuntu box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting to Windows Home network

I just installed Ubuntu, and need to connect it to the Internet through my Windows XP Home box. I connected the PCs together through a router but the Ubuntu box can't see the connection. The XP Home PC is set for DHCP. How can I make this connection from Ubuntu to XP Home work? What are the steps and settings that I need to make? Please be specific. Thanks in advance.

Can you expand on the physical layout ? How is everything connected to everything else ?

Just Joined!
    >>
    Quote Originally Posted by unchiujar
    Can you expand on the physical layout ? How is everything connected to everything else ?
    <<

I hope this is what you mean by layout. The Windows XP Home PC is connected to the Internet via a Sprint/Novatel Wireless USB device. On that same PC there is a second traditional PCI network card (SMC EZ 1211).

The Ubuntu PC has a standard PCI network card. The network cards are connected via a 12-port router (an old CentreCOM 3012SL) and when I plug the CAT5 cables into the router, the LED lights come on in the respective port numbers, so at least physically the router knows they're connected.

The problem is that I simply don't know the Ubuntu settings to make the Internet connection go from the Ubuntu PC through the XP

In the event that this will help, on the XP Home box, here's the output from the ipconfig/all command

C:\Documents and Settings\musicbox>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : musicbox
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Novatel Wireless Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Novatel Wireless Expedite EV-DO Netw
    ork Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-CA-FE-BA-BE
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 70.12.176.96
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 70.12.176.96
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 70.12.176.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.28.82.11
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:47:48 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 19, 2007 4:47:48 PM

Ethernet adapter LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Seri
    es) #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-29-62-12-C8
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.59.169
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish exactly. What i gather is that you'd like for both computers to have access to the internet.

If that's the case, what type of internet connection do you have? If it's DSL or Cable you could connect the modem directly to the router. But it seems like you might know this already. Are you using dialup?
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Just Joined!

Re: Connecting to Windows Home network

Quote Originally Posted by flipjargendy
    i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish exactly. What i gather is that you'd like for both computers to have access to the internet.

If that's the case, what type of internet connection do you have? If it's DSL or Cable you could connect the modem directly to the router. But it seems like you might know this already. Are you using dialup?
    Yes, you're right. The goal is to have both PCs use the Internet. The Internet connection to the Windows Home PC is dialup -- kind of. We live in the boondocks w/o cable or DSL, so we're using Sprint's EVDO wireless USB (Novatel 720) connection that uses dialup networking to "dial" a cell tower, thus wireless connection. The documentation doesn't give any indication that this can be connected straight to the router, and only gives a Windows-based disk, so I'm guessing the only way to have both PCs connect to the net is to have the Ubuntu box pass through the XP Home box. That's what I need help on.