Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Okay, I need some help because I cant boot my computer and it just goes into an endless loop when it tries to load Grub. I turn on the computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Grub Endless Loop

Okay, I need some help because I cant boot my computer and it just goes into an endless loop when it tries to load Grub. I turn on the computer and the inital Bios screen comes up, then checks the hardware, then says "Loading GRUB 1.5", then the screen goes black and it the computer restarts and goes back to the initial Bios screen and keeps repeating. Any one have any ideas???

I'm running two hard drives with Windows XP on my master and Ubuntu 6.06 on the slave. I tried reinstalling Ubuntu and Grub and everytime the installation goes fine and GRUB will work fine until I run windows and shut down (it seems shutting down from windows causes the grub loop). So then I ran the windows xp cd and fixed the mbr so I can boot windows but now I cant load ubuntu, and any time I have tried to reinstall Grub I get errors. So then I tried to put Grub on a floppy and it gives me an error (I think it's error code 20 or something). I'm new to linux and I am out of ideas.....

install GRUB in MBR of Ubuntu Harddisk and keep Windows MBR intact. thats the best way in Two Harddisks dual boot set up.
    un-plug Winodws Harddisk and Plug-in Ubuntu Harddisk as Primary Master. Install Ubuntu.
    plug-in Windows Harddisk as Secondary ( Slave ) and keep Ubuntu harddisk as Primary Only.
    Boot up Ubuntu and add an entry for Windows in its GRUB.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I thought about doing that, but I was going to switch the windows hd back to the master. But I'll do it your way and then just set windows as the default (since other members of the family would complain otherwise).Thanks for making the executive decision for me... What would we do without you casper?

Okay, I went ahead and set up my Linux HD as my master and my windows hd as my slave, installed grub and so far grub is working fine with ubuntu, but I cant get windows to load. I edited the menu.lst to add windows and it says:

Booting 'Windows XP'
    root (hd1,0)
    filesystem type unknown, partition type x42
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

And it just freezes there and doesnt load.... Any ideas? It is possible I have the root wrong because I dont entirely know what I am doing, I just know enough to get myself in trouble.

You need to use map. You can look it up, or wait for casper to post the correct usage.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

you have to edit two files. device.map and menu.lst
    add this line in device.map file
    Code:
    (hd1) /dev/hdb
    code for menu.lst
    Code:
    title Windows Xp
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    save files and reboot.
    in case it doesn't work, post the output of 'sudo fdisk -l' here.

Casper

Alright, we are slowly making progress. I did try mapping the hard drive before because I know windows wants to be on the first disk, but I didnt know that I had to edit the device.map file. That being said, it will now begin to boot windows, the Loading Windows screen comes up but then it crashes and the computer restarts and repeats. Any ideas what would cause that? Thanks again guys, everyone on this forum has been awesome in trying to help out and I just hope I'll learn enough to repay the favor soon.

do one thing, unplug Linux Harddisk and check if windows boot up properly. Windows MBR is intact and if it boots up correctly, we would know that problem is in menu.lst file only.
    post the contents of menu.lst file here.

Casper

Okay I disconnected the linux hd and put the windows hd in it's place and windows booted up fine. Here is my menu.lst:

title Windows Xp
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-27-386
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-386
    boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-27-386 (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-386
    boot

title Ubuntu, memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    boot

add savedefault and makeactive lines.
    Code:
    title Windows Xp
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Casper

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast