Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having trouble setting up a DSL internet connection with Ubuntu. I tried setting it up from Network Settings at System > Administration > Network Settings. When I go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet won't connect

I am having trouble setting up a DSL internet connection with Ubuntu. I tried setting it up from Network Settings at System > Administration > Network Settings. When I go there, the two things there are Ethernet Connection and Modem Connection. I've tried going to properties of both of them, and entered all the right info, and it appears to setup correctly. But when I open up Firefox, a window pops up saying www.google.ca not found, Re-enter and try again. Also in the modem connection properties, when i try to auto detect the modem, it says it can't detect it, it might be busy or not connected to the computer.

I'm not sure why it's not working, it works fine when I use Mandriva. To set it up with Mandriva I went to Set-up a new network interface in the Control Center. I then choose DSL for the connection I want to configure > 3Com Corp for the network interface I want to configure > Unlisted for provider > PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) for connection protocol > and then I enter the account username and password, and everything works fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    kinda the same problem here. only i have never run another version of linux other than ununtu, which is what im still trying to figure out completely. help soon!