Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
using 'The Linux Kernel SpeedTouch Driver And Ubuntu' script, I do everything as instructed but, when I get to the end and reboot, I do not get connected to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy problem trying connect Kubuntu 6.10 to internet

using 'The Linux Kernel SpeedTouch Driver And Ubuntu' script,
    I do everything as instructed but, when I get to the end and reboot, I do
    not get connected to the net.

Help!

old codger

Linux User
    The Speedtouch 330 can be a pain. I got one from Tiscali and after reading Micro Mart promptly bought a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router from Ebay. It has worked faultlessly. There are various scripts and howtos around. Have you e.g. seen "HOWTO: Speedtouch USB ADSL Modem (UK)" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=44763. There are various scripts on Sourceforge. There is a guy on the Micromart Forum who has had some success on PCLinuxOS. Whatever the "solution" they tend to be complicated. My advice would be to get a (modem) router. They're much easier.

Just Joined!

problem trying connect Kubuntu 6.10 to internet

Thanks, arochester. I'll try the BT router.

Best

Fred

Just Joined!

arochester

Your msg Feb 12: I assume that you are using the BT 205 on Linux (Kubuntu?) only I note that in its sales blurb it only refers to Windows and MAC. Further, when I try to run the CD, (which works OK on Win XP), I only get a list of the items in the folder - rather than a wizard to let me install it.

Do you have a copy of the Quick User Guide? I've hunted high and low and cannot find a copy I can download anywhere.

Best

old codger

Linux Newbie
    I can't help you with the specifics of your hardware, since things are done differently on the far side of the pond, but I can tell you the CD that came with the BT won't help you any. That CD will have Windows drivers, as you already know.

Some companies are sending out Mac OS X drivers on CD along with their hardware. Nobody (well, I don't know of any) includes Linux drivers.

So you need to find a device that the OS can run out of the box, or find some source online who's hacked some drivers together.

Linux User
    Yes I'm online with a BT 205 and Kubuntu.

I have The BT publication "After installation: Using BT Broadband" with the CD but it's irrelevant and to be ignored.

Hope I don't get into trouble with copyright - Micromart (date unsure), Beginners' Linux Mart, ADSL@Last: "A second hand BT Voyager 200 from Micromart's classified was much better. It was automatically configured with the IP address 192.168.1.1 and acts like a DHCP server. From any PC attached to it, direct or through a network switch, you can access it via a browser by entering the IP address preceded by http:// Configuration is mostly automatic and what's not automatic is foolproof."

The other thing to get is from your ISP's web site (0r possibly Windows if you're dual booting.) Tiscali have a page entitled "Configuring your own modem/router." This has valuable information on it e.g. Tiscali Primary DNS Server 212.74.xxx.xx Tiscali Secondary Server 212.74.xxx.xx.

So you open a browser, put in the address http://192.168.1.1 You will suddenly find yourself talking to your router. Input a few answers under (I think) Quick Start or Quick configuration and away you go...

Just Joined!

Thanks, arochester.

I now have a BT 205 ADSL Router but cannot get it to work on Kubuntu 6.10. I do the 192.168.1.1 thing and get the BT Configuration Manager screen, enter my ADSL login username and password, and get:

'Broadband username and password modified successfully', then it goes back to the Configuration Manager login screen again, try logging in again, get same result - and go round in circles. The DSL light is flashing.Try to access internet and do not succeed.

What is the secret of your success?

Best

old codger

Linux User
    OK. I disconnected my wireless setup. I connected my BT Voyager direct to the computer. I accessed the Voyager. I pressed "Reset". It asked me the Broadband username and password. I supplied these. It went "round in circles" asking me the Broadband username and password - but I ignored that the second time and connected to any website. It connected.

Just Joined!
    It's strange that a router setup would be that difficult. When we had DSL, it was simply a matter of setting the router configuration to "PPOE", and entering my ISP login and password. Then we just plugged in our PCs, one of which is my Linux machine and just clicked on the browser.

Cable internet IS different, but it was again just a matter of not using PPOE and then removing my ISP login and password from the router. Just plugged all the PCs back into the router and badda-bing it worked. I do wifi now with the Linux box via the same router -- works fine.

Just Joined!

problem trying connect Kubuntu 6.10 to internet Reload this Page

Thanks, arochester
    I have just tried it again (several times) and the result is the same.

The 'Power' and 'Ethernet' lights are on and steady, whereas the 'DSL' light is flashing. I just don't understand it. It's very frustrating.

Best

old codger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast