Find the answer to your Linux question:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi. I recently decided i wanted to try out ubuntu, and thanks for the great help on this forum so far. I just got to the point where i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Ubuntu StartUp Freeze

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.

I recently decided i wanted to try out ubuntu, and thanks for the great help on this forum so far.

I just got to the point where i wanted to start out by downloading Ubuntu 6.10, and burn it to a disc (The slowest i could burn was 8x).

When i insert the disc, turn on my computer, the pc boots from the disc, and i get a Menu with a Big ubuntu logo.

Now, when i select the "Start Ubuntu" option, the ubuntu logo appears, with a progress bar..
    It runs for at minute or so, and then it freezez.
    The progress bar dosent move or anything..

GREAT Ubuntu....

My Pc is up to date, and every hardware part works as it should.
    My system is

* AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    * 1 GB Ram
    * MSI K8N Neo4 Mainboard
    * Ati Radeon x1950 pro

My Harddrives are sat up this way if that has anything to do with it:

Harddrive 1 - Seagate IDE 80 Gb.
    Partition 1 - 20 gb: Windows Vista System
    Partition 2 - 60 gb: Empty (Want to use this for Ubuntu)

Harddrive 2 - Seagate SATA 300 Gb
    Partition 1 - 200 gb: Storage
    Partition 2 - 100 gb: Storage

Harddrive 3 - Seagate SATA 300 Gb
    Partition 1 - 300 gb: Storage

I hope you can help, as this really annoys me.. :/
    Other people are having the same problem but noone seems to have a solution.
    This is so wierd.
    I Also tried to check the disc from the menu, and the dics was fine.
    Safe Graphics mode did the same freeze as the normal startup.

Then heard that you could try to use som startup commands by pressing F6.
    I tried to run the startup without the splash screen, and the startup froze at this point:

A person asked my to try another startup command instead.
    I tried the: irqpool pci=noacpi noapic nolapic acpi=off, command, and that changed some things.

Now it freezes with this instead:

I dont know what to do..
    I also tried to download the DVD version of Ubuntu 6.10, and when the Disc startet up, it gave me some new options prior to "Start or Install".
    I tried the "OEM Install", and that worked so far.
    I installed ubuntu through some "DosLike" installer, and when the installation was finished it booted up the Grub(?) Boot manager.
    I Chose Ubuntu, and it does the Exact same thing as with the Live cd.

Freezes the point, of the first screenshot, and when i put in the irqpool pci=noacpi noapic nolapic acpi=off command, it still gives me the screen from the second screenshot.

This really annoys me, as this is my first time EVER with linux.
    .Please.. Can someone help?

Linux Newbie
    When first Ubuntu logo comes up, did you run the "Check Disc for Errors"?

Another thing to try is burn a copy of PCLOS 2007 when it comes out in a few weeks.

PCLOS will install to my homebrew PC while all versions of Ubuntu stall in weird places like what you're describing. Unless you have a Linux genius on hand you're probly going to get very frustrated trying to work past these errors because none of the info on the screen means anything to average users like you and me...

ok, i doubt there's a problem with either your hard disk or the install disk (although you should check the MD5Sum of it just in case).
    basically, that error means that linux can't load its sound drivers. start by just trying the following boot option:
    Code:
    acpi=noapic
    because your current boot options seem somewhat extreme. if you get the first problem again doing that then go back to your current boot options.

ok, i don't know if the following will work, but it's worth a try. add the following to your boot options (alongside acpi=noapic):
    Code:
    snd-intel8x0=off
    that will disable your sound but should hopefully allow you to boot into ubuntu which will, hopefully, allow you to go about looking for a permanent fix. hope it helps
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    ok, i doubt there's a problem with either your hard disk or the install disk (although you should check the MD5Sum of it just in case).
    basically, that error means that linux can't load its sound drivers. start by just trying the following boot option:
    Code:
    acpi=noapic
    because your current boot options seem somewhat extreme. if you get the first problem again doing that then go back to your current boot options.

ok, i don't know if the following will work, but it's worth a try. add the following to your boot options (alongside acpi=noapic):
    Code:
    snd-intel8x0=off
    that will disable your sound but should hopefully allow you to boot into ubuntu which will, hopefully, allow you to go about looking for a permanent fix. hope it helps

YEEEEEEEES! YOU ARE GOD!

IT WORKS!

NOw another problem.

When Ubuntu boots up either my Mouse or keyboard works (Logitech DiNovi Bluetooth set)..
    And the small flashing line in the "Username" box, also freezes after a minute or so