Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
It's running an Athlon XP 3200+ I believe. Dual channel 1 GB memory. It's an old computer of mine that **** the bed, and I didn't have money to fix ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

It's running an Athlon XP 3200+ I believe. Dual channel 1 GB memory. It's an old computer of mine that **** the bed, and I didn't have money to fix it back then. Turns out I just needed a new power supply. So I threw that in and now its going to be my little server. LoL

In any case the setup I am using is just generic parts. I am using both IDE bus' with 2 drives on each. I know as I've read and been told, using 2 drives on one bus is going to kill performance, but performance is not my aim. I just want something that will work, its not like I'm serving this up to the internet publicly. So I have 4 IDE 250GB hard drives. Since my IDE channels are used I am using a USB flash drive 1GB by Memorex to run the operating system. I am attempting to setup a RAID 5 array with 4 disks, and possibly adding in one more via USB External enclosure if that works, not sure bout that part yet anyway. Right now I am having a different issue though. I can't get the USB operating system to work. I might have to just switch to a more known portable system like DSL. I just like Kubuntu so much I wanna stick with it. But for some reason every time I try to boot up it works fine the first time. After I've saved info, then try to restart, it won't work anymore. Tried it on other computers too just to see if it was the computer. So I'm stuck working on solving that issue now instead before I can move on.

Just Joined!
    As ask by another poster, what type of raid are you trying to set up?

With a dedicated raid controller, say a PCI mounted with drivers for Linux, it would load directly after bios "post", but before the operating system. It sounds as though you are trying to use the built in Linux "soft" raid, where it mimics a hardware raid. I have mixed feelings on this one.

As for your use of Linux on USB, despite not having any experience using it, I would suspect that there is a performance penalty with it's implementation VS a hardware performance RAID (striping). Just my thoughts.

Details?

mlw

Just Joined!
    Yes I am attempting a software RAID. I mentioned the 4 IDE drives on the 2 IDE bus' in the system. No Hardware RAID. I am not looking to spend the money on it, just want to put the drives I have to good use. I know there may not be the best performance from a USB distro vs full install, but like I said I'm not looking for performance. I just want a simple system that works. The most activity it will get is copying files and folders back and forth, and perhaps music playing by my box. The family isn't very keen on computers and they barely know how to use anything. I'm just tired of hearing everyone complain about not having my music, my sisters music, my parents, etc. I also just want to setup a system I can control remotely so when someone screws up I have a hole into the network from the outside world that is secure. I also on occasion need to get in remotely to download a file for say school or something. So performance, no, something that works, yes. I'm still really pissed about the USB drive not working. My ideal is to get that setup, but I also want to setup two other 1GB's that I have to each carry a distro, 1 Kubuntu, 1 WinXP Pro, both able to native boot as well as run as say a QEMU machine. Might be awhile. LoL

Just Joined!
    As I said, I have no experience with a software raid in Linux. I did find two links:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_software_raid

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3136.html

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2