Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok so I am looking to secure my network at home as well as allow for remote access and central access from within my home. I have about 5 computers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux Box setup/config for File Serve

Ok so I am looking to secure my network at home as well as allow for remote access and central access from within my home. I have about 5 computers on my home network. I want to centralize the storage of all our music, movies, pictures, etc. The purpose for this is to share all our documents and save space on the computers by putting the load on a single box. I have 4 250GB drives inside the box with a decent AMD Athlon processor and a gig of memory. I am looking to create a SSH Service on the box, a firewall if possible, as well as a File Server with FTP as well as local file sharing to all the boxes on the network. Bear in mind the house is using Win XP on all machines but my desktop which is running Kubuntu. I am new to linux so any links etc are helpful. I am also new to the SSH Service and how it gets setup etc. So far I have only found a NAS distro called FreeNAS which seems to work pretty well, but does not have SSH or firewall, and the Software RAID5 system is not so stable and/or friendly. Any suggestions on what I could get running on this box that will run FTP, FileSharing, Remote Acces, SSH, and Soft RAID5 support? Thanks!

According this article, FreeNAS does have ssh support. (Also see a number of helpful links at the bottom of the article.)

I'd be surprised if it did not include a packet filtering firewall, but to be honest I have not tried FreeNAS - only read a number of howtos and reviews.

Just Joined!
    Ok so I guess I should ask for some good resources on how to use SSH. I was suggested to use this method to backend or remote access my network and settings within. The other thing is I think my aim is to see if there is say a Linux distro that could say fit on a 1GB USB like I have FreeNAS and allow me to add service systems later? Because I am worried about the RAID5 stability, and may be looking to add more services and such onto this box afterward for more usability. Or perhaps if I just feel like utilizing more services as I learn them well enough.

... and may be looking to add more services and such onto this box afterward for more usability.
    In that case it may be better to just start with a full-on distro and save yourself headaches down the road. If you search the forum, you'll find many "which distro is right for me?" threads to get you started.

Linux Newbie
    Hi

I run ebox on a debian 3.1 server base, headless and no gui, administered via ssh or a local web interface for just this kind of stuff. Works a treat and sits well with Windows boxes on the network as well. You can set it up as either a file server or domain controller as you see fit.

I followed this howto:

http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_ebox

Follow it to the letter and you can't go wrong.

I think they've just released a similar tutorial for an ubuntu based version as well.

Good Luck

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

Linux Newbie
    Forgot to say, have a good poke around on the site first, I'm sure there is a FreeNAS tutorial on there as well somewhere. You can mix and match from the guides to get the setup that you want.

Bubo

Just Joined!
    Bubo thanks very much. I like the look of that ebox system as well. I think that might end up being a good final result. The only thing I am worried about is how it will react with the Kubuntu system I have on my USB drive. Since I am trying to get the max amount of storage out of this, I have 4 IDE's attached (yes I know I shouldn't put more than 1 on each bus, but this isn't for performance, strictly home solution for storage). Since I have these 4 IDE's setup for a RAID array, I have to use my 1GB Memorex USB drive. I am having a little trouble getting the system to be stable on the USB as it is right now. Once I am done, however, I will be trying to get the whole file sharing system setup.

Just Joined!
    Hi SMix,

It's me,...again.

Use OpenVPN. It's cross platform. A little learning curve, but I can coach you.

Best of all it's encryption, and will mount under Windoze explorer as a network drive from any where.

Oh and it's standard on Linux, there are binaries for Windows and even Mac's using Tunnel Brick.

Just Joined!
    Well for right now, I just need to get the computer up and running well with the RAID array setup. I am having trouble trying to get this Kubuntu USB to work properly. It seems I can get it up and running, but anytime I do any real work on the system, it won't boot anymore. At first I thought it was the computer, but tried it on another system and similar issues.

Linux Newbie
    SMix

The only thing I am worried about is how it will react with the Kubuntu system I have on my USB drive
    Since I have these 4 IDE's setup for a RAID array, I have to use my 1GB Memorex USB drive
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here.

Could you give us some more information about your server's hardware setup, i.e. raid controller details, raid disc configuration (0,1, 5, 0+1) etc. I haven't personally dipped into raids on linux too deeply but someone on here will be able to advise.

Cheers

Bubo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast