Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, first time posting...very minimal exposure to linux... I decided a couple days ago to do a dual boot of XP and Ubuntu 6.10. I didn't want to lose all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Should I or should I not...

Okay, first time posting...very minimal exposure to linux...

I decided a couple days ago to do a dual boot of XP and Ubuntu 6.10. I didn't want to lose all of the files I have in the ntfs format so I opted to install Ubuntu on a slave disk by itself. All worked well and for the last few days I have been playing with it and installing things. Well, I decided customization of the Gnome desktop was definitely for me and installed Compiz/GL Desktop. Everything was fine until I thought an update to my nVidia driver would be a good idea...bad idea. Screwed up everything. I've changed so many things in .conf files and such, I can't remember how to undo what I've done. The regular desktops go to solid white when I load them...obviously not a good thing. I can only get a working system by using the Gnome Fail-Safe mode.

So now I'm presented with a problem. I cannot afford to have my XP drive become unrecognizable and since GRUB is over there, I am afraid to attempt a reinstall of Ubuntu. Will the boot loader become confused if I allow the live disk to wipe the slave drive and reinstall Ubuntu? Optionally, is there a way to uninstall compiz and gl desktop fully?

Suggestions, helpful hints welcome...

hi auralfreq,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

i dont know about Compiz or XGL thing but Ubuntu re-install wont create any GRUB problems. installer will install new GRUB and you will have dual boot setup as earlier.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Casper,

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome mat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    compiz/beryl has its own section in ubuntu forums (or did last time i checked) so might be worth checking there for help, as for your dual boot you should be ok, as casper said it should just create a new version of grub and setup as before. if not dont panic 'cos you can fix it dead easy!
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463