Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so I understand the usage of Root and how a lot of things, especially in Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc you need to click administrator to alter settings and sometimes you still can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running Root

Ok so I understand the usage of Root and how a lot of things, especially in Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc you need to click administrator to alter settings and sometimes you still can not do certain things. Is there a way to say run another session as root? Instead of logging in with my user/pass, can I login with root/pass? Just so that if I want to have the graphical ability to delete things or modify settings, instead of having to always use the command line? Especially since I am still learning linux and do not know the command line for some programs, settings menus, file locations, etc. This way if I need to do something as root that I don't know how to in command, I can just Alt+F7 over to my login as root. Is it possible? Or any other suggestions?

You could always launch nautilus as root:
    Code:
    sudo nautilus
    This will launch nautilus with root privileges so you don't have to logout and login as root. This way you can manipulate files.

If you need to launch any program as root, try launching it with sudo.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    What is nautilus? And thats what I mean, a lot of programs and settings programs, I don't know how to run via command line. So I want to be able to login as root and then just click them. Or is there a way to find what a program is called or how to call it? And/or I remember briefly seeing somewhere an option to run certain programs as root, but have not found it again. Any clues?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    most programs can be run at the command line just by typing their name. For example to run firefox from the command line you would just type firefox or to run gedit you'd simply type gedit

This is true for most programs (although there are some peculiar ones).

To run the programs a root just add the word gksudo before it, for example gksudo firefox to run firefox as root.

I'm afraid there is no way to login as root altogether on *ubuntu.

By the way nautilus is the file manager. So running gksu nautilus would open the file manager as root (allowing you to create/delete/edit and files/directories on the system)

Hope it helps
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Just Joined!
    Ok thats why I don't know what nautilus is. I am running Kubuntu so I have Konqueror. I understand running sudo konqueror, but what about things like user management, or many programs or settings with long names? how do I figure out what they are called?

execute 'kcontrol' in konsole. its Control Center of KDE. create it shortcut in Menu. this is the first thing i do after fresh install.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

If you use the menu editor (right click KMenu button and select menu editor), you can see what programs are in the menu and what command is needed to launch them.

As for launching them, if you want to enter your password graphically, the KDE equivalent to gksu is kdesu.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMix
    Ok so I understand the usage of Root and how a lot of things, especially in Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc you need to click administrator to alter settings and sometimes you still can not do certain things. Is there a way to say run another session as root? Instead of logging in with my user/pass, can I login with root/pass? Just so that if I want to have the graphical ability to delete things or modify settings, instead of having to always use the command line? Especially since I am still learning linux and do not know the command line for some programs, settings menus, file locations, etc. This way if I need to do something as root that I don't know how to in command, I can just Alt+F7 over to my login as root. Is it possible? Or any other suggestions?
    I was going to say it is possible, however after trying to do this myself, I have discovered that you can only have the x server loaded for one session at a time. So you can login as root, but you cant access the gui.
    The only way to use root graphicly is to boot ubuntu in recovery mode it looks like

BTW you have to create a password for the root account before you can use it. to do this type "sudo passwd"
    it will ask for your current user password, so put that in and then put the new root password in. You can now login as root using the password you just created.

When in user mode, dont use the root password for anything involving su - it wont work. you have to use your user password.

The simplest way, if you're running Kubuntu, is to press Alt-F2 and type
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    This will launch the file browser as root within your user session. No need to log in separately as root or to make things complicated by logging out and then logging back in again. If you use that enough, you can create a launcher for the command and a keyboard shortcut so you're not having to retype the command every time.

By the way, kdesu and gksudo are the way to go for graphical applications. Keep sudo with the terminal applications. More details here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone, I finally got it all figured out and working now. I still think I might run into trouble with trying to find the name for some applications, but for the most part I think I will get it. The first time I tried to run Konqueror with kdesu, I made a dumb mistake and was wondering what the error messages were for in the Konsole window. Then I later tried to run that command from the Alt+F2 or Start+R and it worked perfectly. Thanks guys!!